AUSTRALIAN VETERAN MATTERS
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Tuesday18June2019

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Wiltshire CEO of Conspiracy Theory Central
2,370 Posts in 148 Topics by 217 Members
Latest Member: Sweesiultew
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  AUSTRALIAN VETERAN MATTERS
|-+  AUSTRALIAN VETERAN MATTERS FORUM
| |-+  THE MAD GALAHS FORUM--This forum does not necessarily reflect AVMs opinion. CLICK HERE FOR AVMS OPINION
| | |-+  What a hero TATE is?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What a hero TATE is?  (Read 82510 times)
CD

« Reply #58 on: Sunday24June2012 »

Little Donny Boy to tour the US of A Huh   I wonder who is going to pay for this little jaunt Huh
Zionist
« Reply #57 on: Sunday24June2012 »

To: admin@austvetmatters.net
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:52 AM
Subject: What a hero TATE is?

Dear AVM

Tate’s unwanted in the States?

Sent: Saturday, 23 June 2012 3:48 PM
To: skypilot_1@msn.com
Subject: John Kelly to Don Tate: Shut the F#$k Up!

In a message dated 6/22/2012 4:59:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, skypilot_1@msn.com writes:

Come on over Don..I'll stand you a pint...but I sure as hell don't want hear any more Shit about how bad it was!!

Skypilot 70-71

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:05:18 -0400
Subject: Trevor Sharland to Don Tate: Shut the F#$k Up!
To: BernWei1@aol.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 6/21/2012 5:28:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Fw: Fwd: a speaking tour of the USA

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:05 AM

Subject: Re: Fwd: a speaking tour of the USA

for fuck sake don,i too was seriously wounded in vietnam and had issues with the beaurocrats,but im getting a bit sick of you thinking your the only one hard done by.How going to the usa and telling your diatribe over there is going to help anyone is beyond me.all i hear is don tate this,don tate that,and lets not forget don tates book..sounds like a money making venture to me.SHUT THE FUCK UP DON.Iwill even give you my phone number to tell you in person.there were many casualties in vietnam,thank god i dont have to hear their bleating.you may have spoken to lots of people but i doubt that infantry combat soldiers want to hear all about YOU,ahhhh,i feel better now,lol

Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:15 PM

To: skypilot_1@msn.com ; dmansker@comcast.net ; idahoonezero@sbcglobal.net ; heblagden@yahoo.com ; dodape@msn.com ; edwardblanco@yahoo.com ; stan.sutherland@bigpond.com ; cws_2@hotmail.com ; archerz@sbcglobal.net ; jscb@cox.net ; melissa_glennon@live.com ; ewcjr@bellsouth.net ; jmcgarrity@ohio.net ; menendez@toast.net ; dmfrancis6@aol.com ; vietnamnr@gmail.com ; Christopher.Ronnau@cdcr.ca.gov ; lima327salinas2002@yahoo.com ; DRJ1000@aol.com ; 17dodge@drtel.net ; missionsoffireandmercy@gmail.com ; christianamerica2@yahoo.com ; warvet_69@yahoo.com ; squidninja2000@yahoo.com ; sgtbobbybriscoe@aol.com ; russelltown@comcast.net ; jacobs@atcnet.net ; stgeorgegrpltd@hotmail.com ; schlog@adam.com.au ; dave@net4truthusa.com ; billsteelman@yahoo.com ; billbell@pinncom.com ; hill55@vtown.com.au ; hgilster@msn.com ; john.podlaski@gmail.com ; rockycoastpub@juno.com ; jandmcarr@comcast.net ; afdjet62_66usmc@yahoo.com ; brinker101@charter.net ; marty.mcmorrow@gmail.com ; harryrlarsen2002@yahoo.com ; johnd@charliefoxtrotfilms.com ; ttowery@memphis.edu ; hochclyde@yahoo.com ; Juvat1@knology.net ; dogsitter@mindspring.com ; barry@sempercool.com ; manth002@rangers.uwp.edu ; fwmurphy@bellsouth.net ; billjessiela@aol.com ; idahonezero@msn.com ; h.dale@sbcglobal.net ; kuyarog@cox.net ; noahdillsr@hotmail.com ; yesmur13@aol.com ; RDVARNER01@gmail.com ; neuro25@msn.com ; jbryan_3ph@yahoo.com ; funchesswil@nctv.com ; gunsup666768@gmail.com ; bluefalconione@aol.com ; JhnBltn@aol.com ; d-bain@live.com ; MUMPER.ROBERT@yahoo.com ; paper.marche@att.net ; chockoyotte1@gmail.com ; Eldorado90@aol.com ; randallmobley@netscape.com ; robertdirr@tds.net ; david.simmons@verizon.net ; ricbayless@gmail.com ; trizzuti@msn.com ; prbpfi@gmail.com ; gblosser@woh.rr.com ; rb368370@gmail.com ; angelnet@surewest.net ; jeffnpjclark@cox.net ; dr.owens@comcast.net ; kennethvkeyes@comcast.net ; csmleschapman@msn.com ; rmcsusn@gmail.com ; zfirlm@hotmail.com ; jamesbdew@aol.com ; mainsail77@maine.rr.com ; VET66A@aol.com ; eldsonmcghee@aol.com ; bseawolf28@aol.com ; johnmailman@yahoo.com ; eagle649@optusnet.com.au ; tlazzarini@earthlink.net ; pilotphiho@yahoo.com ; tsn_saltydog@yahoo.com ; ronald.breland@gmail.com ; wberns2024@att.net ; marshmallow7@sbcglobal.net ; budsvilla@aol.com ; kerrypardue247@yahoo.com ; davidgonzalez4848@yahoo.com ; Robinson.Santiago@fe.navy.mil ; lrrpf52@msn.com ; rafjr5@yahoo.com ; ricb@bigpond.net.au ; crs107@yahoo.com ; eddhogeboom@cox.net ; dseid1@cox.net ; theburg73@embarqmail.com ; boonecutler@gmail.com ; wiseowl@tampabay.rr.com ; masterbryan@hotmail.com ; kglaufenberg@hotmail.com ; russ@russellwarriner.com ; wdwenger21@msn.com ; rgeschke@hotmail.com ; rwchristopher@cox.net ; johnsimones@yahoo.com ; edhaweyetimes@juno.com ; JDRAIN4@TX.RR.COM ; bryan@leapinleo.com ; hjimc142@aol.com ; RonStoneBooks@yahoo.com ; jc@ec47.com ; trsoyars@yahoo.com ; rivercityfoxes@sbcglobal.net ; sgtkug@hotmail.com ; barthfam@yahoo.com ; lachlanirvine@gmail.com ; barkbrkc7@aol.com ; JFlanaganConsult@aol.com ; purpledoodle@att.net ; robinson.santiago@fe.navy.mil ; cbgaynor2@yahoo.com ; remybenoit@gmail.com ; terry.s8er@yahoo.com ; dewey173@aol.com ; xm177e2_556@yahoo.com ; DGARNER@lmi.org ; keith.bodine@att.net ; randym246@comcast.net ; velosanders@gmail.com ; sydneymcleod@bigpond.com ; promultis33@yahoo.com ; winston.parry@y7mail.com ; rbergquist@mac.com ; jrosario44@hotmail.com ; tim@armyflightschool.org ; bddirou@iinet.net.au ; jim.visel@gmail.com ; ochiltre@bigpond.net.au ; msgdonwhite@yahoo.com ; samuelstone@hotmail.com ; robert_romaniello@mcmurrayfabrics.com

Subject: Fwd: a speaking tour of the USA

To: bernwei1@aol.com
Sent: 6/6/2012 9:30:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: a speaking tour of the USA

G'day Bernie

Mate.......I am contemplating a speaking tour of major USA towns in December/ January much the same as I've done here in Australia and which have been so well received by veterans and the general public.

At last count, I'd spoken at some 160 libraries and veteran organisations.

As well as the author talk, I intend showing those movies I shot in colour whilst serving in Vietnam as an infantryman in 1968/69 prior to being wounded on July 19th 1969 (currently valued at $100,000). They have a profound (but positive) effect on veterans who served in Vietnam.

This will correspond with the release of the new edition of 'The War Within' which is now published by iUniverse (and containing an additional eight new chapters!)

I have a preliminmary schedule of 5-6 weeks covering major cities across the nation which includes those major tourist destinations like The Alamo etc etc.

As part of my preliminary planning, I was wondering if any veterans within your lists might like to point me towards any veteran organisations who might be interested in hosting an event. I will also be contacting various organmisations myself, but thought your guys and gals might be my first port of call.

Anyway......I'll leave it with them.

They can contact me personally if anyone is especially interested.

PS.......if any of your contacts want to 'friend' me on Facebook....go to Don Tate, writer

Don Tate,

Vietnam veteran '68/'69;

ex-infantry

www.dontate.info

Facebook: Don Tate, writer
« Last Edit: Sunday24June2012 by Zion » Logged
Zionist
« Reply #56 on: Sunday29April2012 »

Don Tate is a manipulative liar who has tickets on his minimal intelligence and intellect. Here he is at his best misrepresenting what many Veterans have been saying. Hundreds of Veterans have taken deep objection to Tate saying pogos were not real Soldiers. They are not objecting to the use of the terminology pogo. Tate’s real history is one of being a very short term, incompetent and stupid Infantryman who enlisted to make a name for himself after the War by inflating his War experiences into books to make money. Tate never was and never will be a dinkiedie, dyed in the wool Aussie Soldier.

AVM

To: 'Donald Tate'
Cc: admin@austvetmatters.net
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 4:54 PM
Subject: RE: 'pogos' ..oh dear, I've done it again!

Please see response below:

Regards,

NAME DELETED BY AVM

CONTACT DETAILS DELETED BY AVM

Freedom isn’t free!  It comes with a hefty price tag that only a few are prepared to pay.

Sent: Sunday, 29 April 2012 2:30 PM
To: ===============
Subject: Re: 'pogos' ..oh dear, I've done it again!

TATE I've got every scrap of paperwork, you fool.

Response So you say but how much of it is real?

TATE  Sit there like some buddha, you ignorant bastard, and throw some mud.

Response  As a Buddhist I take that as a compliment as Buddha was a caring and loving person.

TATE  As long as your records are okay, eh?

Response  My military records were not 100% but I didn’t go off the handle and call everyone liars and frauds, I got on with life.

TATE  What's the bet you're a TPI?

Response  Yes as a matter of fact I am a TPI as a result of injuries received whilst serving in Vietnam and other places but I don’t make a big thing over it.  I usually find that people who brag a lot about their injuries, war wounds and “experiences” are full of piss and wind and not worthy of respect or recognition.

TATE  Got the shakes?

Response  Not sure what you mean here, but no I don’t.  If you are insinuating that I am afraid of you then you are misguided fool.  Rather than be afraid of you I pity you because you are so bent and twisted that you have forgotten that we were all soldiers serving in Vietnam, some were Infantry (Grunts), some were Engineers (Ginger Beers) and some were Artillery (Drop Shorts) and we all had a job to do to support each other in what was a horrible war.  Instead of fighting each other we should all be working together to right the wrongs and to ensure that all Veterans are looked after.

Don Tate, Vietnam veteran '68/'69
ex-4RAR; ex-2nd D&E Platoon; ex-9RAR; ex- 1Mil Hospital

Sent: Sunday, 29 April 2012 4:16 PM
Subject: RE: 'pogos' ..oh dear, I've done it again!

Maybe those things didn’t happen, who knows!

Regards,

NAME AND CONTACTS DELETED BY AVM

Freedom isn’t free!  It comes with a hefty price tag that only a few are prepared to pay.

Sent: Sunday, 29 April 2012 9:25 AM
To: Bernie; hasa.kirkman@gmail.com
Cc: ian morrison; david4vets@yahoo.com.au; David Morris
Subject: 'pogos' ..oh dear, I've done it again!

So that letter to The Australian, written in 1992 upset some poor bastards. Apparently, veterans are running off to psyches and popping pills and getting drunk and crying on the shoulders of mates. Advocates are being rushed off their feet.

I've received hate mail. Even from 'mates'. And the usual maggot reaction, of course.

I'm very sorry about that. I didn't realise our veterans were so precious.
And oh goodness, don't the boys hate it when you give them a serve back! They send off a nasty missive and when I return fire, they don't like it. I'm expected to just suck it up like a punching bag.

Sorry...those days are long gone.

Strange thing is- 40 years ago, the word 'pogo' was used extensively by a large percentage of the task force. Usually it had the word "bastard" attached to it....as in 'pogo bastard'.

But that was then, and this is now, and we have to be politically correct and hold hands and sing Koombya together.

What hypocrisy.

Somehow, I don't think infantrymen all over the country fall down and beat their fists on the ground when they're called 'grunts'- despite the bovine implications. Oh well, perhaps a few do.....it takes all types.

Do artillerymen sob and throw plates when they're called 'drop-shorts'?
'Paper-shufflers'? Sorry.....clerks, if you don't mind.

Hey guys.......settle. You're grown men.

Hate to think how you'd react if anyone really tried to rile you. You'd be basket cases.
Anyway.................you missed the major point of the letter- the bastardisation of individual records and its impact on men's lives, and the way that Army is relegated to the rear on such occasions.

Let's ignore those points and focus on the minor point, hey?

I have to admit and acknowledge that pogos were indispensable and did a fantastic job and if there were more of yous out in the field no doubt we'd have won the war.

My hat's off to you.

But......while we're at it, I also have to be honest about how 'pogos' influenced my life..............

They
- incorrectly recorded my movement from 4RAR to HQ Coy 1ATF

- incorrectly recorded me as having served with 6RAR

- couldn't find clean bunks or bedding for the 39 infantrymen who rocked up
in HQ Coy (not that we used them)

- failed to record the formation of the 2nd D&E Platoon

- couldn't find 3 x M60 machine-guns for the 2nd D&E Platoon that actually worked

- incorrectly recorded the 2nd D&E Platoon's contacts as belonging to Woolan's generic D&E Platoon

- incorrectly recorded my movement from the 2nd D&E Platoon to 9RAR

- failed to record my existence with the 9th Battalion altogether

- stole goods from my locker after I was wounded (or perhaps that was fellow infantrymen)

- falsely recorded 9SQN as having carried out the casevac, when it was actually an American crew

- let a wounded VC solder roam around the same hospital ward as those of us who'd just been shot up
- made a false assumption about the damage done by the bullet that struck me which has serious sequelae for 40 years

- failed to test the wound for three days after I arrived home during which 'profuse' infection set in

- failed to take an x-ray for more than a week after my return exacerbating the bone destruction

- and so on and on and on.....

Think those errors didn't have an impact on this infantryman's life?
Hey, but otherwise...WELL DONE!

« Last Edit: Sunday29April2012 by Zion » Logged
Zionist
« Reply #55 on: Sunday29April2012 »

AVM has received the following email which speaks for itself.

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 11:17 PM
Subject: DON TATE

I have recently had the misfortune of crossing swords with Don Tate regarding his consistent derogatory remarks about non-infantry personnel as not being real soldiers in Vietnam.  I served in SVN with RAE and objected to his comments.  His response was very swift and extremely vitriolic and only got worse from email to email.  I have never met this person and do not intend to do so in the future as he seems to be a very bitter and twisted person.  As soon as he found out that I was an Officer his comments became extremely offensive and I wonder what happened to him to make him so bitter.  He claims that when he “farts” the veteran community shits itself!  I informed him that he had an extremely over inflated view on his influence within the Veteran community and it all went downhill after that.

It is a shame that a Veteran can become so bitter and twisted after all this time, he must be in a lot of pain.  I read his book and saw him speak in Perth but because I didn’t introduce myself to him he went off the rails and lost it completely even though I was late for another appointment and had to rush off quickly.  It seems that the comments on this website are justified when it comes to Don Tate, God help us if he ever gets to rewrite history.

Regards,

NAME AND CONTACT DETAILS DELETED BY AVM
Zionist
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday25April2012 »

AVM has received the following email.

Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:34 PM
Subject: tate

(SERVICE DETAILS DELETED BY AVM)

i have just read your comments re don tate ,

i served with this guy , would have to be the worst soldier i served
with , a gross exaggerator of the truth .

i read his first book , or part thereof, relevant to the time he
served in the same platoon as me , i was in vvcs darwin , when the
consultant mentioned him and about the book he wrote and how it really
gave insight to life of a grunt .

i naturally went to the time relevant , well what a lot of shit , the
guy didn't even know the name of the skipper , nor pltn sergeant, his
reference to bluey gibson , my sect co was bullshit , he used to write
home letters every night we were in camp , '' by the lights of the
tracers'' etc , we read his letter one night when we came back from
the boozer, pissed in his mouth when we saw him sleeping with his
mouth open , he was not liked . the guy out in the scrub was a bumble
foot he would fall over a stick and fall backwards whist leaning
forward

one thing that i did note along with many others , was that he is very
good with names of places etc , now if that is the case how come he
made no reference to the biggest battle the company fought in may '69,
5 wounded thankfully no one killed , we hit a bunker system west of
bin bah rubber , in that battle 10PLTN, take note, lost bluey boyd and
blue gibson WIA, yet no reference was made wouldn't you remember
something like that , i do every day , especially this time of the
year .

Then further in his ramblings he made reference to bluey gibson
chopping the head of a cobra of with a machet'
, how could he , he had been medivaced  out ?, a prolific
lie , yet he seems to have no shame and is obviously a person of low
esteem trying to make out he was in''special forces'' or something ,
he was , being sent to reo wing was special , how he was picked i dont
know

anyway thats it for now , pisses me off hearing about him

but with due respect he did serve and was a grunt and that i respect ,
but hey he should get his facts straight, should be a pollie

he could be next PM .................couldnt be any worse than redheaded commo

have a great day

============ NAME DELETED BY AVM
Zionist
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday24April2012 »

At a time of the year, when many are remembering the great sacrifices made by their mates, in particular the Supreme Sacrifice of life, Tate simply has to stir up the Veteran community with his bile and hatred to keep his name in lights. As if Anzac Day is not upsetting enough, Don Tate has to use this sacred day to vomit forth his bitterness and division and thus make the day more painful than it already is. Petersen naturally and true to form couldn't hold back and use his common sense by refraining from posting this stuff near Anzac Day, for he is just as responsible as Tate for causing disunity and division.

AVM has received the following email from a source.

AVM.

To: AUSTRALIAN VETERAN MATTERS
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:01 PM
Subject: Fwd: POGO'S NOT REAL FIGHTING MEN ?

Greetings AVM

More crap on the eve of Anzac Day from the stumbling TATE and his followers of fashion

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 24 April 2012 1:56:11 PM AEST
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Subject: POGO'S NOT REAL FIGHTING MEN ?

Don, as a Clerk at Vung tau (1 ALSG) with RAE makes me a pretend (pogo) digger in a Slouch hat mate??....Allen

To: Donald Tate
Cc: Allen Petersen ; Bernie McGurgan
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:05 AM
Subject: Don Tate's Opinion "cooks and the clerks and the assorted bottle-washers are not real fighting men"

Don, I read the copy of the article you wrote in The Weekend Australian in October 1992. You circulated again in time for Anzac Day, so you presumably hold the same views.

“It might well be complete for the Pilates of Canberra who have washed their hands of us for decades. But three pieces of granite will never assuage (obliterate?) the collective guilt of those men who sent us to war with all sorts of promises, then abandoned us when we came back broken in body and spirit.

And it might well be “complete” for the cooks and the clerks and the assorted bottle-washers who served in Vietnam. Sure they did their job, but let’s face it, for most Vietnam veterans their tours were one of relative safety. Let’s not confuse them for the real fighting men of the Vietnam War.

"They never actually fought the enemy"

So, in your view, anyone who was not an infantry soldier was one of the “cooks and the clerks and the assorted bottle-washers” and should be lumped together with the “Pilates of Canberra". You lump every soldier (except infantry) together and tar them all with the same brush.

And those who were not infantry were not “real fighting men. Moreover, the implication of your words are that any claims for disability from the “cooks and the clerks and the assorted bottle-washers” are spurious claims from malingerers and frauds.

All I can say to that is “gee, thanks”, “I love you too”.

By the way – what “promises” were made when they sent us? Buggered, if I remember anyone actually getting up and making a specific promise about anything.

Terry Westerway..NSW

Ruger357
« Reply #52 on: Saturday31March2012 »

You have that wrong Boots.......................would any sane Platoon or Section Commander want Tate in his platoon or section.... Huh Huh

We all agree that Tate is a nobody........a person with empirical military and research knowledge.....with an axe to grind about alleged corruption and dishonesty and everyone who opposes or questions what he says or researches, or has a contrary experienced and personal view, is subject to his abuse

The sooner this pathetic fraudulent hypocritical and disgraceful fool and permanent masturbater is sent to the Trash Bin....the lighter our world will be !!

BUT WAIT........TATE is now involved in two pre projects.........!!!!  perhaps the accurate rewriting of Australia at War in Vietnam.......3 volumes and the short history of 9 Sqn RAAF.......or will it be a screen play for a blockbuster movie.....Don Tate...."no ones fool.....everyones hero"  or "Donny dopped his Gun..."

and finally I am reliably informed, that Don Tate was never a school teacher, nor qualified to teach....he was merely a "TEACHERS AIDE"........

Boots

« Reply #51 on: Saturday31March2012 »

Would any sane section commander put a M60 in Tate's hands?Huh
CD

« Reply #50 on: Friday30March2012 »

Reading through the 9RAR diaries for 19-20 Jul 69 I came across a little bit about an M60 being left behind by one of the wounded. A search next day failed to find and recover said M60 and ammunition.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tate make the statement somewhere that he was carrying the 'gun'? If so we now have a bloke with a bullet in his hip and with two good arms that couldn't hang on to the 'gun' even with one hand?

Now if this is in fact true that means we have Tate aiding and abetting the enemy by providing the enemy with the main firepower of his Section.

Any discussion on this subject will be welcomed.
Zionist
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday28March2012 »

AVM is now in receipt of the following email. We never open our mouths unless Tate opens his. It is Tate who insists on stiring the pot and setting Veteran against Veteran.

Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:42 PM

What is there left to say, except  LITTLE MAN TATE, is wholly rotten to the core

Curb you filthy gutter sniping tongue, TATE -  otherwise, I will verbally let loose the hounds from the south.

What a saga of deceit follows all your encounters!

A good forward scout would have covered his tracks, but then you left your bolt out of the rifle - again with the Shellharbour Council?

And your not promoting an eBook.

Sent: Wednesday, 28 March 2012 10:03 AM
Subject: Brian Dirou : 9RAR CASEVACS 19/20JUL69

Sent: Wednesday, 28 March 2012 9:51 AM
Subject: Fwd: McLeod's inane comments

Sent: 3/27/2012 5:22:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: McLeod&apos;s inane comments

G'day Bernie
Mate, I look after grandkids of a day, and am working on two new projects. I haven't got the time to continue a dialogue with Syd McLeod. He's a big-talking airhead. I prefer to communicate with individuals who can put a few sentences together in some sort of order and sense. I read him wrong in the first place. I thought him to be a genuine man. He's not. He's as weak as those others who throw rocks from hidey holes. What's more, his hypocrisy is breathtaking. On the one hand, he pretends some concern for his fellow man (and fellow veterans) about how the stresses of life affect a man's health (or allostatic overload) and on the other, he'll willingly join in to vilify and mock any veteran who dares disagree with his "two tours" learned opinion. And it's too bad if that fellow veteran is not only disabled by war, but has been subjected to a slanderous campaign by cowardly dregs within the veteran community for many a long day with significant psychological consequences. What impact does he think that has on a man? Yes...he has put a book out. Self-published. Did he ever submit to the scrutiny of a genuine publishing company? But having dissected some of his emails, I think he has a limited grasp of the written word, so I'll be interested to see if anyone actually reads it, what they think of it, how much validation he comes up with concerning his claims of CIA involvement/ mutinies/ etc etc and what sort of reviews/ comments he gets from any man of substance. When I spoke in Townsville a couple of years ago, he drove me around the place, but I couldn't help but note he stayed clear of other veterans, and didn't turn up himself. That told me a lot.
Don Tate
PS
Just be careful not to disagree with him Bernie. He knows all there is to know about everything to do with the military- including how every one of the 2,000,000 chopper misions were carried out across 10 years by combined allied forces.

Sent from my iPad
=

Sent: 3/27/2012 4:16:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: 9RAR CASEVACS 19/20JUL69

GRAMMAR CORRECTION IN FIRST PARAGRAPH

Hello Bernie;

Herewith a last attempt by me to put the record straight for Don Tate and please promulgate.

Don; I do feel sorry for you and others who had bad combat experiences. No. 9 Squadron did 4,357 casevacs/medevacs during Vietnam operations, some hundreds of them at night. We were well aware of how wounded can be traumatized following an action event, and being winched up to a hovering helo at night and dragged into a darkened cabin, where all aircrew would seem to be dark skinned, would be a mind-bending experience. But considering the broader scope of your derogatory comments, that is where my sympathy for you ends.

I have communicated with both aircraft captains involved in 9RAR casualty evacuations on 19/20Jul69 and the 9SQN Unit History records as previously outlined to you have been verified by flying logbook entries. An armed 9SQN Huey evacuated 3 casualties to Vung Tau at 1940 hours on the 19th and the RNZAF pilot viewed it as a routine dustoff because he did not make any cryptic notes in his logbook (which was pretty common practice) regarding ongoing enemy action, ground-fire or weather aspects. He then flew one casualty with a head wound to Long Binh for specialist medical care. There is no doubt that 9SQN performed those tasks, whatever your impressions to the contrary, and inferences that records may have been falsified are absurd and offensive.

The RAAF pilot who evacuated another 5 casualties also believes there was no ongoing enemy interference or significant weather, but he feels that evacuation was more likely in darkness than at first light on the 20th. It was probably recorded as happening on 19 July because his Pilot Mission Debrief form would have been dated from when his overnight duty commenced. Any deferral of extraction of those 5 casualties would have been a HQ 1ATF/9RAR decision.

Herewith outline of an event 2 weeks prior on 4Jul69 which should underscore the dedication 9SQN applied to its roles. Charlie Company 5RAR were moving at night and at about 2200 hours, stumbled into a minefield resulting in 1 KIA and several wounded. NDO1 was called forward and followed by NDO2 a bit later. After NDO1 had departed the scene with come casualties, NDO2 arrived and queried whether mines had been cleared. The answer was: 'No, but we have marked where the skids were for the first aircraft.' Then the signaller stepped on another mine resulting in disarray for the platoon involved with only 2 members being uninjured so a RAAF medical orderly was disembarked to assist. Back-up support was requested from 9SQN at Vung Tau where some off-duty aircrew who may not have had beers were rounded up and raced to the flight line to head for the scene of action. Total casualties evacuated by 3 Iroquois for that happening were 1 KIA and 19 WIA.

Previously, I said that US Army dustoff aircraft usually based at Nui Dat during daylight hours were normally unarmed. But Medevac Hueys of the 1st Air Cavalry Division, which operated mainly in I and II Corps areas in northern SVN and later into Cambodia, did have doorgun armament. An interesting overview of US Army medevac activities is here:
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=CCVIZ5R5SY0C&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=us+army+air+ambulance+units&source=bl&ots=DrUpaBlzIc&sig=BVa3WVqP9qPt9ZHAMKmNeQX_3v0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=eYZRT52BGuqZiQewybnxCw&ved=0CHwQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=us%20army%20air%20ambulance%20units&f=false

End of my input re the 19/20Jul69 9RAR casevacs. Return fire will follow in a couple of days Don regarding your scattergun rant of 2.19pm 21Mar12.
Brian Dirou

Marble Mountain: A Vietnam Memoir [Hardcover]
Bud Willis (Author)
Sent: 3/27/2012 2:33:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Re: Bud Willis : Every pilot is responsible for his crew first.

I COULD MAKE A LONG LIST OF THESE IF YOU LIKE:

INCLUDING SUCH THINGS AS THE GROUND TROOPS BEING UNABLE TO PREPARE A PROPER  LZ...

WIND CONDITIONS, WEIGHT CONSIDERATIONS, FUEL, AMMO ON THE GUNSHIP ESCORT OR THE CONDITION OF THE CHOPPERS THEY ARE FLYING, WHICH MAY ALREADY BE SHOT UP FROM A PREVIOUS MISSION, OR LEAKING OIL AND HYDRAULIC FLUID--AS U SAID, MANY VARIABLES....AND ON AND ON...

COMPOUNDING A BAD SITUATION IN BAD WEATHER IS NOT ONLY A GREAT WAY TO KILL YOUR CREW,(THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE COVERED YOUR ASS MANY TIMES) BUT SOME OF YOUR FRIENDS WAITING FOR YOU BACK AT THE READY ROOM THAT HAVE TO BE DISPATCHED TO COME AFTER THE MESS YOU MADE..

.MR TATE IS THE ONLY WOUNDED PERSON I HAVE EVER HEARD OF THAT WOULD CRITICIZE A MEDEVAC PILOT AND QUESTION HIS INTEGRITY WITHOUT KNOWING THE FIRST F.....THING ABOUT THE CONSIDERATIONS YOU SO ACCURATELY DESCRIBED...MOST EXCELLENT OBSERVATIONS, BTW...

HAVING SAID ALL THAT, I DONT BEGRUDGE A WOUNDED MAN FOR BEING ANGRY, I JUST DONT THINK HE SHOULD THROW UP ON EVERYBODY ELSE'S BOOTS UNLESS HE HAS WALKED IN THEM HIMSELF...

BUD...642 missions

Once again open the attachment to see any images included in the original email

* Tategrovelstoyanksagain.doc (62 KB - downloaded 483 times.)
Julz6

« Reply #48 on: Saturday24March2012 »

Tate said:
>Like Lt Col Gration, for instance, an infantry commander who made his feelings very clear about it,

While I don't want to get tied up in the Tate matter, it must be said that the then LTCOL Gration was a Sapper officer & CO of the Civil Affairs Unit, not an infantry commander.

Just my 2 bob's worth

J
krt1.

« Reply #47 on: Saturday24March2012 »

Oh Dear!! That boy Tate has lost the plot. He is starting to stumble with in his own limited abilities of truthful recall. Not only that, the Drongo is dragging in arguments which can't in any possible way have any thing to do with the War in Vietnam.

Tate get it through your thick skull will you!! No one gives a shit what you think!! You have shown that your knowledge of the Military Machine is limited and what little you know is clouded in innuendo and speculation. The amount of time you actually spent in the Defence Force was negligible. 

One of the pivotal reasons the Army has taken over the Helicopters from the Air Force, is for Rationalisation of Operational Procedures you gronk.  The same reason that Infantry have their own A.P.C.'s.  Your insinuation that a casavac chopper wouldn't pick you up, so they are moving all choppers under the Military unreal, (some 45 years latter) is hysterical.

You are truthful in one of your statements there. It has been painfully obvious that you have  no regards for any form of The Truthful let alone that of the  Official History.

So Donnie Boy we will never except your apology for the things you have said, so just go away you lying, squirming magothy lump of slime.
Zionist
« Reply #46 on: Saturday24March2012 »

AVM is in receipt of the following emails. It is beyond debate that Tate is the most vile, vicious, warped and hypocritical War Veteran in Australian public history.

All War Veterans, from the base waller to the forward scout, were changed by the Vietnam War in this case. No returning Veteran was ever the same again and many found their lives in turmoil and collapse as they tried to adjust to a non War environment. One can never get war out of one’s system. Any reasonable person would think that war Veterans would understand each other and understand the great suffering and destabilization which all had to face post conflict. Most Veterans suffer from hidden troubles and pain which are not evident on the exterior.

It is vile of Tate to attack his fellow Veterans in such a vicious and untruthful way as we have seen him do for many years. Will he change. We doubt it.

The essential problem right throughout Tate’s life is he just has to prove his appendage is larger than anybody elses.
AVM

Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 6:10 PM

Aussie Helicopters left me there to die! Bad Weather...More Aussie Squabbles!  BULLSHIT!

“Bullshit & what are you bleating on about TATE?” Albatross 01 completed the multiple extraction under the cover of darkness, with active ARTY  &  LFT,  still engaging the enemy!

Perilous conditions prevailed for 01, so retractions and forgiveness are in order TATE, or are you a “little man”

Sent: Friday, 23 March 2012 2:53 PM
Subject: Aussie Helicopters left me there to die! Bad Weather...More Aussie Squabbles! 

War Within  by Don Tate (Author)
Sent: 3/22/2012 11:16:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Re: Want to respond?

FOR PETER BEATH........(A "WEARY" FLYBOY)
Listen you boofhead..............if you weren't there- shut your mouth. And I don't care what your mummy used to say.

I never made a blanket statement to the effect that 9Sqn wouldn't go into dangerous situations- but others of more consequence than me, certainly have. Like Lt Col Gration, for instance, an infantry commander who made his feelings very clear about it, and was one of those responsible for the transfer of battlefield helicopters from the air force to the army. Why was that, do you think?

On the contrary, I hold 9Sqn in high regard- except for one very specific night- the 19th July 1969, when 9Sqn casevac choppers refused to take wounded men out of the jungle, with a monsoon raging and a battle still going on.

And I don't care what the "official" military history says on the subject, because it's been my experience that there's been a lot of re-writing of military history since the war. Some of it was to enhance the reputations of officers; and some has been done to enhance the reputation of various units.The reference in 9Sqn logs as to them getting four of us out that night is a pure falsehood- taking the credit for what a US CREW did.

I am not a lone voice in saying that the casevac chopper refused to land that night; Capt Andy Ochiltree MM also confirms it- and we were both not only THERE ON THE NIGHT, but both winched up that night (along with two others) by a US chopper.

What you should be asking is this:

- if the 9Sqn record is right and an Aussie chopper DID land and took four men out that night, why weren't the other five wounded men also taken out the same night INSTEAD OF IN THE MORNING of the 20th?

But you wouldn't ask that question, because it'd be too hard for someone still clinging to mummy's sayings. Grow some balls and ask some hard questions yourself instead of blithely believing everything you read in "official" accounts. YOU WEREN'T THERE.

You might also ask:

Why do you think I would put myself at odds with another group of veterans? For fun? Think this is fun?

What would I have to gain by doing so? (And don't say book sales- my book was sold out and is now an Audio Book. So there's no gain there.)

Finally.......let me make this clear, this minor matter is the last piece of a jigsaw into various corruptions of my service record. All of which have now been corrected.

I said I served in the 9th Battalion and was wounded with them. The "records" said it wasn't true- that I never served in 9RAR.

But in 1998, the Battalion officially accepted that I had (because I had taken movies of them as I did so). The Defence Force recognised that I had, and FORMALLY corrected the records. That was 1-0 to me.

The 9th Battalion left my name out of the account of the ambush in which I was wounded on Jluy 19th 1969. An officer from the battalion has since corrected that account, and publicly apologised for the omission. That was 2-0 to me.

The Defence Force said that one of the units I served in- the 2nd D&E Platoon never existed. Generals and politicians wouldn't believe it. Brigadiers were sceptical. The veteran community wouldn't have a bar of it. I was called a liar and worse, and lived in a fantasy world.

Guess what? That platoon was formally recognised as having existed by the federal government in 2008 (38 years after the event)- go to the ALP web site and read the formal announcement by Mike Kelly MP for yourself.

That was the third correction of my records. And the score was 3-0 to me.
This bullshit account by the 9Sqn as to who got us wounded blokes out that night is the last thing I'm fighting for.

Now, I'm damn sure that YOUR service records are 100% accurate. And if they weren't- like most men, you'd fight like hell to correct them.

That's what I'm doing. It's what I've been doing you decades

One fellow I've known for a while, Syd McLeod, wants to put the knife into me for doing so- yet he would tell you he was also involved in a phantom platoon, a mutiny at some outpost, had CIA connections, and was involved in various major battles etc etc. THERE ARE NO OFFICIAL RECORDS TO SUPPORT HIS STORIES.

Guess what he's done to correct them? Fuck all. And you know why he won't?

I'll tell you- because it means you've got to stand against the mob that'll howl you down on every street corner. It takes courage to do that.
And you either stand up for yourself and defend what you know to be the truth, or you live in a shadowland.

And you've got to have a heart and some guts because the 'experts' (whose records will all be pristine) will hold hands, dance around a maypole and call you everything they can, attack every aspect of your character to try and silence you.

Destroy a man's reputation and character and you take away his credibility. It's an age-old trick.

And not every man can withstand such an assault.

Finally, what you think of me is irelevant- just as what I think of some pansy who never saw any action in the war and who didn't get shot and came home safe and sound (like you) won't mean anything to you.

Above All Else  by Ronald Lee Christopher
wiseowl@tampabay.rr.com

Reply To:   
To:    BernWei1@aol.com

Winston,
I saw it this way. I was with the 9th Cav Recon, 1st Cav Div. We in the 9th Cav had our own choppers, guns, lifts and scouts. When there was trouble, everybody piled on in an attempt to save any of us. I was in the Blues (recon platoon). Never did any of our guys refuse to assist. I would supposed that was because we were all our own. On the other hand, probably, chopper pilots taking another unit to the field probably did not feel very close to those they took out because they were not of their unit. So helping was not really a duty unless a pilot made it his duty.

Ken Keyes

Reply To:   
To:    BernWei1@aol.com

These “exchanges” between the Aussies are starting to get pretty funny.  Always amazed how much people get their noses out of joint.  Then again if someone talked about ASA in Nam that I disagreed with I suppose I would be speaking up too.  Oh well, such is life!  Ha…
Ken Keyes

Syd McLeod
sydneymcleod@bigpond.com

Can you imagine the uproar there would have been if a journo saw a chopper displaying the red cross and being armed, I never saw such a thing in two tours.

People might have done things against the Geneva convention, but I would very much doubt that such a public display ever happened.

I think they are mixing the fact all sorts of ships forfilled the Dustoff role including gunships but they would not have the red cross on them.

To: warvet_69@yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, 23 March 2012 12:11 PM
Subject: Want to respond?

Sent: 3/22/2012 12:48:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Re: Winston Parry reacts to Don Tate ..9 SQN:
Sent: 3/19/2012 10:24:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Fw: Fwd: Re-writing history....9 SQN: Royal Australian Air Force

Recently, (as I did in 'The War Within'), I wrote to an American friend and revealed how Australian choppers refused to do a 'dustoff' on the night of 19th July 1969 when nine of us from 7Pl "C" Company of the 9th Battalion were wounded in a Viet Cong bunker complex. The ambush still raged, and a monsoon storm had broken over us. Instead, it was left to a passing American chopper to do the job. It went out its way to cut a hole in the canopy, drop a penetrator, and winched four of us out. The other five were taken out on the 20th July when the battle was over and the storm had cleared.

My American friend forwarded that email along as we do, and it duly arrived back home on these shores with some snarls from our local sub-section of maggot veterans, and others.

It didn't matter that my account was verified by Capt Andy Ochiltree who WAS there on the night with me, who WAS one of the four winched out, and who was subsequently awarded a Military Medal for gallantry during the ambush in which we were wounded- and whose word and opinions should carry considerable weight.

A bloke called Brian Dirou (a former officer from 9 SQN) jumped to the Defence of 9 SQN, as did other armchair generals and Internet 'experts'-NONE of whom were present at the scene.

I had meant no criticism of 9 SQN in any way, or slight any man from that unit (I have a friend who served in 9 SQN)........I was simply stating the facts of the matter. 

I have no doubt that that RAAF unit earned a proud reputation over the duration of the war and do not wish to detract from it. There is no doubt the Squadron was manned by brave men- but they were limited by operational parameters and protocols.

Such a protocol was applied on July 19th 1969. Make no mistake about that.
Brian Dirou cannot re-write history. He was wrong, and the information he presented as 'official' and which, apparently now forms part of the Squadron's history, was incorrect. He maintained that Australian choppers from 9 SQN HAD carried out a dust off that night at the 9RAR position. Certainly it is true that once we were off-loaded at 'Vampire Pad' in Vung Tau by the Yanks, an Australian chopper flew one of the four of us onwards to an American Hospital (Pte Derek Nixon-Smith).  Only at first light on the morning of the 20th July did an Australian chopper retrieve the other five casualties. The battle was over; the storm passed. Dirou also stated that it was policy for US casevac choppers not to have machine-guns at the door (which both Ochiltree and myself clearly saw) but while there seems to be a general consensus of opinion that this was a rule set in stone, he was wrong about that as well. I am advised by others with greater expertise than me that US casevac choppers often ignored the guidelines, and DID mount machine guns at the doors.

Anyway, he inspired me to do a little more research on the topic.........especially as to how well-placed, significant ex-officers are able to subtlety re-write historical accounts. Let's start at Australia's most famous battle and re--visit some matters concerning 9SQN..........

- 1966: Long Tan........"D" Company of 6RAR is in dire straits in the rubber.

Brigadier David Jackson (CO of the Army) and Capt Peter Raw (CO of the Air Force) are  having a screaming match back at Nui Dat. Jackson is fearful of losing an entire company of infantrymen on the battlefield; Raw is worried about the weather and the possible loss of a couple of pilots and machines.

A young flight lieutenant (Bruce Lane) takes the initiative and says he "was going anyway." Only then does Capt Raw reluctantly okay the mission. Two Iroquis took off- one was piloted by Flight Lieutenant Riley (who subsequently gets awarded a DFC), and the other by F/L Bruce Lane (who gets nothing.....insubordination?)

The action of those pilots in dropping a tonne of ammunition from low-level during a monsoon with limited vision probably saved the day, but Capt Raw's initial recalcitrance to risk airmen and aircraft in battle becomes common knowledge to all, becomes part of army folklore, and was to the air Force's detriment.

- 1969: Dat Do........Lt Col Peter Gration requests a medical evacuation at night from the Yanks. It is the first option. But, they can't get there. The second option, a 9 SQN helicopter, duly arrives, circles overhead for half an hour but refuses to land. "He thought it was too insecure," said Gration- who went on to become a General and the army chief. He added, "....for most of our hot extractions into tactically dangerous situations, and casualty evacuations, we used the Americans."

(Who'd like to argue the toss with that good General?) Now cut to:

- 1986: Australia......Defence chief General Bennett and now Army chief General Gration, together with navy chief Vice-Admiral Hudson argue that the army needed to wrest control of battlefield helicopters from the Air Force. In their considered opinions, the RAAF methodology did not meet the standards required to service men on the battlefield. They were successful, and in 1987 Air Chief Marshall Angus Houston (the CO of 9 SQN at the time, and later to rise to the top job in the Australian military) gave his blessing to the transfer of responsibility, and actually oversaw it.

- Finally, author Paul Ham ("Vietnam: The Australian War") writes that Australian infantrymen became accustomed to US pilots "swinging in to help on call" and noted the alleged reluctance of the RAAF to undertake certain missions.

It is also interesting to note that 9 SQN flew some 237,000 missions in Vietnam, and managed to lose only four men and seven aircraft in their time in the war. This may have been due to exceptional skill, to operational procedures, protocols and/restrictions, or just to good luck.

I don't know which applied on that stormy ambush on the night of July 19th 1969. All I know is that the man who dragged me inside that night, was an American negro manning a very nasty looking machine-gun. There wasn't an Aussie in sight.

Regards
Don Tate
author of 'The War Within'

Sent from my iPad

Sent: Friday, 23 March 2012 12:05 PM
Subject: Aussie squabbles! The last word? Don' t bet on it!

Mac...Stephen "Shorty" Menendez is the author of "Journey into Darkness"

Sent: 3/22/2012 1:35:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Fw: Bye

FYI I know you love this stuff. By the way who is this Menendez character, I would suspect he she would be buying a lot of trouble making statements like that.
Mac

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:01 PM
Subject: Bye

Now you can see why I refused apart from the fact as you always say "you weren't there" so what would be the point and quite frankly I don't give a shit about that or you anymore. I am not going to waste the rest of my life like you, I achieved what I set out to do but that was constructive you wouldn't know anything about something like that now would you and took a lot more REAL guts then your silly little book.

Oh and by the way, I had a very nice email from George the other day ! WRONG AGAIN.

What truth, there is no such thing. There are only varying points of view which you would know if you ever had anything to do with debriefs.

To: Syd McLeod
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: door gunners

How's that MAT team going? Did it exist or not? I remember offering to assist you validate it years ago, but you declined the offer. All too hard for you. Got George Mansford offside along the way. On the other hand, Syd, I never stopped fighting for my cause because the truth was always out there.

Sent from my iPad

On 22/03/2012, at 2:16 PM, "Syd McLeod" <sydneymcleod@bigpond.com> wrote:
No, I like Bill don't like being referred to as a maggot and I cannot for the life of me understand why you are still pushing this.
And as usual you once again create your own interruption, must be that anal thing you seem so obsessed with. Any way I had struck you off and told Bernie I did not want any more of your stuff yet here you are back with your usual "what about me fixation," sorry not buying, goodbye.
As usual you will want the last word, so do it and then piss off.

Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: door gunners

Crikey Syd. You turned out to be a bit nasty. Are you suggesting I wasn't casevaced? Or are you just the guru about everything to do with Vietnam? As for 'wanking' ....are you an expert there, too?

Sent from my iPad

On 22/03/2012, at 9:57 AM, "Syd McLeod" <sydneymcleod@bigpond.com> wrote:
Still wanking I see, I was Casevaced but then again I know the difference.

Syd McLeod
87 Edison Street
Wulguru Q 4811
Australia
Ph: 61 07 47781976
Mob: 0400193552
Email: sydneymcleod@bigpond.com
Web: http://www.allostaticoverload.com/

To: ochiltre@bigpond.net.au ; Brian McKenzie ; Allen Petersen ; Bernie ; Ben Morris
Cc: Syd McLeod
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:17 AM
Subject: Fwd: door gunners

A contradiction by a US vet re machine-guns on casevac choppers.
Don

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:
Date: 22 March 2012 7:46:58 AM AEDT
Subject: door gunners
Don,
         I never during my tour in 69-70 ever saw a medivac helocopted that didn't have M60's ready at their doors.   I have a book in progress which tells of a crashed helicopter shot down during an anbush gone bad.  We had to extricate all the crew, except the dead pilot, plus two M60's and a whole case of M79 rounds which the co-pilot was carring to shoot out his window during extractions.
     I like your style, keep going.

Shorty

Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:30 AM

You really are a silly little boy still playing hero.  Syd “Mac” McLeod
One has to wonder why Mr Tate wants to continue to beat this drum... he may be one taco short of a fiesta platter if he continues to piss off a lot of good pilots and soldiers...either way, give it a rest...
Bud Willis bud@budwillis.com

And that’s the extent of it

TATE’S bleating on about poor old me again, upsetting the world now!

Totally rejected by the MAD GALAHS, although he claims George Mansford, is still in his corner?

GO AWAY MAGGOT.  Notice the same ramblings – and same insolent and repetitive word usage to our American network

No wonder everyone HATES THE TATE!

Sent: Friday, 23 March 2012 7:43 PM
Subject: The Aussie "slugfest" continues! Round 5? or 6? "Let's Get it on!"

1st contestant: Syd Mcleod

No Boxes  by Sydney McLeod (Author)
Sent: 3/23/2012 12:57:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Re: Aussie Helicopters left me there to die! Bad Weather...More Aussie Squabbles!

All this dribble because I said what he said was an insult to that units integrity and it was. Here is another example of Don's world, which does not include any sensible deliberations other then I am the truth the way and the light and if you don't agree with me you  are a maggot, gutless and many other mindless rambles. He never seems to realize there are more important things in the universe other then his wounding as I recall there were many others besides him, but in his nine months he became more heroic then all the rest put  together and to hell with others superior experience, knowledge only Don  Tates view matters and if it is not there he will create it in the dark cesspool of his mind and so the dance goes on.

I said below I thought he should be pitied, it would seem my only mistake in dealing with this fellow other then not giving credence to all the others he has annoyed in the past with his twisted logic.

I suppose I should thank him for the promotion of  No Boxes sold through Amazon and Allostatic Overload will be known for centuries to come but that is a little to big for his comprehension and what it takes to achieve such a feat.
Syd McLeod
87 Edison Street
Wulguru Q 4811
Australia

You really are a silly little boy still playing hero.
As for Allostatic Overload, it is now doing current research on Afghanistan Veterans through the University of Queensland and Adelaide, the Sims study at Monash is being revisited for the same reason.America has just recently released $600 million in funding researching it. The paper study that DVA will soon be releasing does not really matter anymore, so as usual you are wrong again, only this time so big time it is beyond your comprehension. Goodbye once again, you are to be pitied.

Syd McLeod

Next in the ring: Don Tate!

The War Within  by Don Tate (Author)
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: Bye

You're right Syd, I never got to experience 'debriefs'. I never rose to the great heights you did in the army. Oh that's right, I spent most of it in hospital. I set out to prove that a platoon had been disappeared from the record books- and Kelly duly formally recognized that it had. MYou didn't think that took guts to stand against the whole veteran community and fight to prove it when no evidence existed?

On the other hand, you never pursued your matter because it too, would have meant standing against the mob, and you didn't have the heart for it.

What have you achieved Syd? 'Alostatic overload'? Who's listening? I might or might not have it - but what I do know is that I'm not one of those pissant weaklings that line the PTSD wards bullshitting my way to a pension. I earned mine in a bunker system. And the 'silly little book' jibe? Ouch!  I could let it go through to the keeper, but what the heck. I'll put up my silly little book published by a genuine publishing firm against your non-existent one any day.

And what was it that George Mansford said....oh yeah, here it is: "A book for every Australian".........I think I'll rest my case. Now, run off and join the AVM like a good little boy, sonny.
Don Tate
                  Next Up: Peter Beath!!!!! Give the man some "No Doze!"
      peterbeath@bigpond.com

Like I said, "Get over It"
I was in SVN 68-69
Regards
A tired of this stuff vet, Peter Beath!

Don's sizzling left hook to all challengers!

Hey Bernie......was there some mockery in that subject line: "I was left to die..etc"?
I've never said I was left to die at any point.  This has blown up because of two fools- Dirou and McLeod.
Regards

This wouldn't be complete without Bud Willis's 2 cents!

Marble Mountain: A Vietnam Memoir  by Bud Willis (Author)

One has to wonder why Mr Tate wants to continue to beat this drum... he may  be one taco short of a fiesta platter if he continues to piss off a lot of good pilots and soldiers...either way, give it a rest...
             Bud Willis     bud@budwillis.com

Don has credibility!

Bernie...in case you think it's one way traffic. See below,
Don

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:
Date: 23 March 2012 4:40:02 PM AEDT
To: Donald Tate <warvet_69@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re G'day Don,
                    Good to see you're still at it mate, give some of these pretend warriors something to ponder on.

Unrelated to your issues re CASEVAC in SVN but in a similar vein, when we on ops in Sarawak we were re supped in its entirety by air. We always joked among ourselves as to who were flying the resup aircraft, be they Aussie pilots, Pommy pilots or be they Officers or NCO's (The Brits had NCO pilots back then)

The NCO's invariably came in close to do the resup regardless but often the "others" would drop their pallets from a great height and scatter the loads to hell and gone...I know its not related but 'same street different brothel'

All the best old friend,

z.......

IF YOU WANT TO SEE ALL THE PRETTY PICS OPEN THE ATTACHMENT

* Tatemostvileofaustraliaswarveterans.doc (489 KB - downloaded 784 times.)
phantom

« Reply #45 on: Friday23March2012 »

I have spoken to a mate from 9 Sqn and it appears Tate has got some facts wrong again. At the start of the War for us we had the B model huey which would not have been capable of carrying the load of ammunition Tate mentions. His figures on downed aircraft and casualties is also incorrect. I have also been assured it was a 9 Sqn chopper that extracted Tate and not a US Medivac. Us medivac choppers in the two northern zones did carry side door guns after a number had been shot down trying to pull wounded out in hot LZ's, but not the ones supporting 1 ATF. Bearing in mind they were the hottest areas as a lot of US troops both army and marines found out and the 1st Air Cav. Their operations in the north were on a larger scale and they were always outnumbered hence their high casualty rate due to the fact they were fighting in a lot of cases well equipped NVA regulars not VC.

I have watched a number of documantries filmed in the field of US forces in the north and researched some of the battles. They operated on a larger scale than Australian troops could considering the numbers we had and resources.

The one thing I do get annoyed at is people saying we lost the war. After the TET Offensive the war had been won, most VC and NVA units were wiped out. That is the only reason that North Vietnam signed a Peace Treaty bringing the war to an end and the pull out of all allied troops bar advisers.
During the period of the signing of the Peace Treaty and when the North re-invading the South, they had re built and re equipped their army and once they crossed the border that was the start of another war, nothing to do with the one we were involved in.
Zionist
« Reply #44 on: Thursday22March2012 »

Tate attacks Royal Australian Airforce again. AVM is in receipt of the following email. To have a better read we suggest you open the attachment at the conclusion of this post.
AVM

Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:31 AM

You’re the only maggot TATE!

I mean, after all, who else but this Judas Traitor TAIT, wannabe hero, MONSTER MAGGOT, could get this “phony photo” on the cover of the Bulletin, giving readers the distinct impression (the wannabe lies and Wanton Deceit of Tate) that HE was at Long Tan.

Now, on the 19 July 1969, amidst a tropical thunderstorm, you made your way up the muddy incline, directly into the killing ground, firing a burst from your M16 ( forward scout ?) and throwing an M26 grenade? I don’t believe a word of your bullshit TATE, and can prove you were a rifleman.

Nevertheless, and giving you the benefit of the doubt, I say again, where did that M26 grenade end up, because I’m confused by the wording of your  DETAILED account – how did you manage this? & your amnesia must come and go, thus the word SELECTIVE, befits your personality!

THE POINT IS JUDAS, you were ambushed and flogged by your pupils at a school excursion, for bra pinching and general bullying, as a teachers aid, with selected memory of Vietnam, so why should we believe this heroic account of the 19 July 1969.

i suggest returning the criminal compensation for the bra pinching episode, and by the way again, have you claimed criminal compensation for the alleged assault on your person in 2010...What a stupid question, of course you have.

Sent: Wednesday, 21 March 2012 5:06 PM
Subject: Winston Parry reacts to Don Tate ..9 SQN: Royal Australian Air Force

CC: shannaford8@bigpond.com, tassie47@gmail.com, lange_bob@hotmail.com, abi24@iinet.net.au, ross.kenny@bigpond.com, shannaford8@bigpond.com, secretary.rarassociationqld@gmail.com, tchitham@bigpond.com

Sent: 3/21/2012 1:48:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Re: Fwd: Fw: Fwd: Re-writing history....9 SQN: Royal Australian Air Force

Bernie ...shit, there he goes again,we are veteran maggots now. I have done active service in Malaysia,Borneo and two trips to Vietnam in Battalions and the AATTV ...BUT shit Im not down on my own mates and trying to serve shit on everyone.....thank God I have a life...Its 45 years ago...I don't see any  WW2 OR KOREA GUYS CARRYING ON LIKE THIS. He is giving us Vietnam Veterans the shits and a bad name...you can print this..We will see what shit he can dig up on me!!!!!Winston Bill Parry

Sent: Wednesday, 21 March 2012 2:19 PM
Subject: Fwd: Fw: Fwd: Re-writing history....9 SQN: Royal Australian Air Force

Recently, (as I did in 'The War Within'), I wrote to an American friend and revealed how Australian choppers refused to do a 'dustoff' on the night of 19th July 1969 when nine of us from 7Pl "C" Company of the 9th Battalion were wounded in a Viet Cong bunker complex. The ambush still raged, and a monsoon storm had broken over us. Instead, it was left to a passing American chopper to do the job. It went out its way to cut a hole in the canopy, drop a penetrator, and winched four of us out. The other five were taken out on the 20th July when the battle was over and the storm had cleared.

My American friend forwarded that email along as we do, and it duly arrived back home on these shores with some snarls from our local sub-section of maggot veterans, and others.
It didn't matter that my account was verified by Capt Andy Ochiltree who WAS there on the night with me, who WAS one of the four winched out, and who was subsequently awarded a Military Medal for gallantry during the ambush in which we were wounded- and whose word and opinions should carry considerable weight.

A bloke called Brian Dirou (a former officer from 9 SQN) jumped to the Defence of 9 SQN, as did other armchair generals and Internet 'experts'-NONE of whom were present at the scene.
I had meant no criticism of 9 SQN in any way, or slight any man from that unit (I have a friend who served in 9 SQN)........I was simply stating the facts of the matter. 
I have no doubt that that RAAF unit earned a proud reputation over the duration of the war and do not wish to detract from it. There is no doubt the Squadron was manned by brave men- but they were limited by operational parameters and protocols.

Such a protocol was applied on July 19th 1969. Make no mistake about that.

Brian Dirou cannot re-write history. He was wrong, and the information he presented as 'official' and which, apparently now forms part of the Squadron's history, was incorrect. He maintained that Australian choppers from 9 SQN HAD carried out a dust off that night at the 9RAR position. Certainly it is true that once we were off-loaded at 'Vampire Pad' in Vung Tau by the Yanks, an Australian chopper flew one of the four of us onwards to an American Hospital (Pte Derek Nixon-Smith).  Only at first light on the morning of the 20th July did an Australian chopper retrieve the other five casualties. The battle was over; the storm passed. Dirou also stated that it was policy for US casevac choppers not to have machine-guns at the door (which both Ochiltree and myself clearly saw) but while there seems to be a general consensus of opinion that this was a rule set in stone, he was wrong about that as well. I am advised by others with greater expertise than me that US casevac choppers often ignored the guidelines, and DID mount machine guns at the doors.

Anyway, he inspired me to do a little more research on the topic.........especially as to how well-placed, significant ex-officers are able to subtlety re-write historical accounts. Let's start at Australia's most famous battle and re--visit some matters concerning 9SQN..........

- 1966: Long Tan........"D" Company of 6RAR is in dire straits in the rubber. Brigadier David Jackson (CO of the Army) and Capt Peter Raw (CO of the Air Force) are  having a screaming match back at Nui Dat. Jackson is fearful of losing an entire company of infantrymen on the battlefield; Raw is worried about the weather and the possible loss of a couple of pilots and machines. A young flight lieutenant (Bruce Lane) takes the initiative and says he "was going anyway." Only then does Capt Raw reluctantly okay the mission. Two Iroquis took off- one was piloted by Flight Lieutenant Riley (who subsequently gets awarded a DFC), and the other by F/L Bruce Lane (who gets nothing.....insubordination?)

The action of those pilots in dropping a tonne of ammunition from low-level during a monsoon with limited vision probably saved the day, but Capt Raw's initial recalcitrance to risk airmen and aircraft in battle becomes common knowledge to all, becomes part of army folklore, and was to the air Force's detriment.

- 1969: Dat Do........Lt Col Peter Gration requests a medical evacuation at night from the Yanks. It is the first option. But, they can't get there. The second option, a 9 SQN helicopter, duly arrives, circles overhead for half an hour but refuses to land. "He thought it was too insecure," said Gration- who went on to become a General and the army chief. He added, "....for most of our hot extractions into tactically dangerous situations, and casualty evacuations, we used the Americans."

(Who'd like to argue the toss with that good General?) Now cut to:

- 1986: Australia......Defence chief General Bennett and now Army chief General Gration, together with navy chief Vice-Admiral Hudson argue that the army needed to wrest control of battlefield helicopters from the Air Force. In their considered opinions, the RAAF methodology did not meet the standards required to service men on the battlefield. They were successful, and in 1987 Air Chief Marshall Angus Houston (the CO of 9 SQN at the time, and later to rise to the top job in the Australian military) gave his blessing to the transfer of responsibility, and actually oversaw it.

- Finally, author Paul Ham ("Vietnam: The Australian War") writes that Australian infantrymen became accustomed to US pilots "swinging in to help on call" and noted the alleged reluctance of the RAAF to undertake certain missions.

It is also interesting to note that 9 SQN flew some 237,000 missions in Vietnam, and managed to lose only four men and seven aircraft in their time in the war. This may have been due to exceptional skill, to operational procedures, protocols and/restrictions, or just to good luck.

I don't know which applied on that stormy ambush on the night of July 19th 1969. All I know is that the man who dragged me inside that night, was an American negro manning a very nasty looking machine-gun. There wasn't an Aussie in sight.

Regards
Don Tate
author of 'The War Within'Sent from my iPad

* TateattacksRAAFagain.doc (1402 KB - downloaded 644 times.)
krt1.

« Reply #43 on: Wednesday14March2012 »

Oh Dear, Donnie Boy is out of medication again. He is going back over all his old accusations of others where he has the audacity to condemn and criticize them for their being better a man then he is. One would have thought by now that even Donnie Boy would have woken up to the fact that no one is interested in his ravings about any of his war stories. Let alone this mythical 2nd D&E Plt.
How ever as with every thing in life there was an up side to all this.  I have used his ravings at times for demonstrations to Psychology Students  just how some one with Delusions of  Grandeur can and does act.
By supplying the evidence of Truth to the Student, then the Fictions of Fables from Donnie Boy has realy been most helpful.  The Students have been able to see first hand just how a habitual lier and some one with a need for acceptance amongst his peers acts and also reacts.  There has been the odd angry comment from one or two of the Students who had family members who served in South Vietnam during those dreadful days. But apart from that the remainder of the Student Population was very positive in that Donnie Boy needed help and quickly.

I must say here that there is never any identifying names or means of identifying any one used in these circumstances at all. All names, email address's and dates are removed.

I rest my case Donald. Go and Get Help for your self before it is too late! If you leave it to long you will be rejected and will not get the treatment you require as it will be to late to deal with your mental problems. You are an old man now and they will view you as just a burnt out wanta-bee.
The ball is in your court!
Ruger357
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday13March2012 »

Ted Chitham, like so many fine men, will I hope ignore the rantings and bullshit and disgraceful comments and innuendo................ from this boring moron and vile individual named Tate...

Is there any other veteran who served in Vietnam or elsewhere for that matter, who fits the same profile as this raving bitter arsehole.....Anzac Day is soon approaching.....and I wonder if Tate is game enough to come up to Sydney and march with the RAR contingent....unlikely.....I cant see this courageous turd fronting...

When will this turd of a man disappear.....well at least his rantings make good reading to re-affirm his mental state.

piss off Donny....no amount of words will get you what you want.....apart from a smack in the mouth..
Zionist
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday13March2012 »

Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:13 PM

This is how our hero TATE? speaks to and obviously regards Ted Chitham.  Ted is a man of undeniable integrity, decency, and honesty; also concerned actively with the never-ending welfare of fellow veterans.

Yet again, here we have this bastard TATE, lambasting a man that has given and achieved so much for our veteran community.

What actually happened to the M26 grenade you allegedly threw forward, during the course of that engagement mayhem TATE?  I have received your written account, dated: 2005?

And you don’t want to be regarded as a hero!

You obviously failed dismally with the Delta4 “wannabe” concoctions & D & E Platoon Task Force; now desperately trying to get as much mileage out of 9 RAR as possible.

By the way, what happened with the DL Piper threats?

There’s no wriggle room Tate, your exposed!!

Sent: Wednesday, 25 January 2012 12:53 AM
To: Allen Petersen
Cc: tchitham@bigpond.com; Kevin Bovill; Kel Ryan; Keith Poole; VVAA ACT President; bigjack@iinet.net.au
Subject: For Ted Chitham, ex-9RAR

G'day Ted
I just received an email regarding veteran superannuation etc.

Apparently, you're the power behind the campaign for a 'Fair Go' for veterans.

Please allow me this opportunity to comment......

I am also ex-9RAR, and on many occasions over a number of years, have written to you concerning a number of issues:

- the repatriation of Cpl James Riddle

- his treatment in Australia after his return (particularly his bashing in your home state, and subsequent health issues)

- the deletion of the 2nd D&E Platoon from all histories of the war for 38 years which involved a number of men who ultimately formed part of your battalion

- the maladministration of 9RAR records which resulted in my name being left off the roll call of those who served with it (records cast into the sea by a certain ex-pogo private soldier well known to most who served in the battalion)

- your bastardised version of history in leaving me and Pte John Walker out of your version of the ambush of the 19th July 1969 and at the same time, giving great credit to Lt Guy Bagot for his actions that night despite the fact he was nowhere to be seen during that ambush......certainly not inside the killing field, and certainly not during any of the combat

- your failure to apologise in any way for your negligence and inaccuracies in publishing the account of that ambush in the 9RAR record of its tour
Not once did you ever have the decency or courtesy to respond- like the great majority of officers from that battalion have also done. In fact, your silence has been contemptuous.

It appears that you only had eyes for that young Lt Cosgrove who also served in the battalion for a few weeks. So much more important than dickhead ex-privates, eh?

Now, you publicly concern yourself with the issue of veteran inequity in respect of superannuation and promote yourself as the CO of the fight to rectify the wrongs.

Might I suggest that a double standard applies here. On the one hand, having no concern with issues pertaining to men who served in your battalion (all physically wounded) but having somehow managed to develop a conscience when it comes to money.

It is easy to see where your heart lies.

Zionist
« Reply #40 on: Sunday11March2012 »

Well it looks like Neil Weekes has rounded up the mad galah troops with another immature and stupid campaign. We at AVM now have little doubt that “ Jack Williams “ is Neil Weekes or at least one of his underlings. By his publishing of the fake Williams email through mad galah postman Allen Petersen, he then had it set up for his cronies to follow on with their emails of support. They have all worked in the backroom to scheme and organise their latest childish foray into the big boys world. They have a new recruit now too, one Allan Hutcheson, a former Artilleryman. We have been passed much information about the inglorious career of Hutcheson. The information tells us he was an immature, idiotic and unintelligent member of RAA who took years to be promoted to Sgt, being passed over by many junior to him. But wait, there is more. Hutcheson was always engaged in some scam and scheme and con job and may remember stealing Army tyres for his racing cars when at Wacol. Isn’t it amazing how these bottom feeders all gravitate towards each other.
Then there is McKenzie who had a bad habit of entering the aussie digger forum using more nom de plumes than bin Laden used.

Anyway we have received the following.
AVM

Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:08 PM
Subject: FW: AVM MAGGOTS HAVE NO CREDIBILITY! **POSTS

Look at this string of complaints.

Of the thousands of veterans online it seems to be members of the same circle of complainants that are always whinging about AVM that, if I remember correctly, was originally created and developed because of the antics raised by these same folk. The same cretins that selected other veterans and vilified them in bilious and vexatious attacks one cannot support their cause and AVM has sorted them out in a professional manner.

============================

Sent: Sunday, 11 March 2012 3:43 PM
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Subject: AVM MAGGOTS HAVE NO CREDIBILITY! **POSTS

I must declare a personal interest in the activities of the AVM website. A few years ago my personal military records were accessed by the web administrator of the site and published for all and sundry. As a website operating under anonymity, I had no recourse to defend  defamation of my character. Appeals to the authorities viz; AFP, NAA, and Govt Ministers- fell on deaf ears in spite of the fact the publication of mine and other veterans records contravened the Telecommunctions Act. Along with the veterans below, I'm also a victim of AVM. I trust the 480 readers on my email forum will forgive me for changing the Subject title from AVM IDIOTS to AVM MAGGOTS- as I think the word IDIOTS is too kind to them!
cheers, Allen

To: 'Allen Petersen'
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:03 PM
Subject: AVM...

Good Morning Allen,
After reading Jack’s assessment of the AVM website, I came to the conclusion that the reason for venom published on said website is consistent with the name.. AVM.
AVM stands for arteriovenous malformations and is a serious brain disorder.

It is said to be extremely painful and debilitating and difficult to get rid of. (Apologies to genuine sufferers and survivors).
Keep up the good work, Allen

Allan Hutcheson

To: 'Allen Petersen' ; flatchat96@gmail.com
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:52 AM
Subject: RE: AVM IDIOTS HAVE NO CREDIBILITY!

Allen,
Like Jack Williams, I recently visited what’s now regarded as the hub of secrecy and deceit by the majority of the Veteran community - that AVM website specifically created to uphold the good name of the Veteran Community which denigrates and defames individual members of the Veteran Community. Now if these people were fair dinkum and were honourable and decent you’d reckon they would be prepared to backup there ramblings, and gain some credibility by ceasing to use fake names when presenting information to substantiate their wild sprays - not on your Nelly.

There has been an ever declining participating by the “AVM allk Stars” after many “got it in the neck, being exposed and named for their indecent behaviour. Those that lurk around the website probably see their vitriolic spays as normal but, quite the opposite is true.
The few AVM participants left are clearly low achievers with a high degree of jealousy toward Veterans who continue to do the hard yards for our community.

It makes sense to remain anonymous as  they would be an embarrassment to their families, regardless, I don’t believe any of them feel good about themselves and what they are doing - then again that’s the weird world of non achievers. Something, that those of us who continue to give our mates a hand-up will never understand.

Good on you Jack for standing up mate.
Regards,Brian
Brian McKenzie
T: 03 6245 1717- M: 0439 030 429

Cc: flatchat96@gmail.com
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:08 AM
Subject: Re AVM IDIOTS HAVE NO CREDIBILITY!

Thank's Jack,
As one of their “targets” your words are well received. Many of us; simply by telling them to get a life, get over it, etc have warranted their attentions. I will admit that in the outset; it hurt like steam but now that I am an older wiser GALAH then it is water of a Ducks back to me. Our good friend Jenny Bell only had to stand up for the rest of us to warrant their attentions. She is a brick and every single one of us recognise her work for what it is, selfless, and a shining light.

The cretins at AVM would not know a GOOD PERSON like George, Jenny, Neil, Rod, Allen, Harry, I could go on all day here; if they fell over one. We just ignore them now and the Devil is in the wings waiting his turn, it will come, all in good time.

Cheers Jack, & fair breezes to you old son.
Best regards, Noel
Noel P "Molly" Muller
navy4@optusnet.com.au
08 7289 1220-0413 541 969
GO NAVY!

To: bobn.co@optusnet.com.au
Cc: Allen Petersen ; flatchat96@gmail.com
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:44 AM
Subject: Re  AVM IDIOTS HAVE NO CREDIBILITY!

Don Tate limps around because he is still suffering the effects of a battle wound sustained in Vietnam. As I understand it, he suffered a gunshot wound through the hips during an assault of a VC bunker.
If you are a follower of the AVM maggots, the wound was not big thing – although I doubt that any one of the AVM maggots have ever suffered a battle wound of any description.
Terry Westerway (NSW)

Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:44 PM
Subject: RE: AVM IDIOTS HAVE NO CREDIBILITY!

G’day Allen,
“that Don Tait will limp around, with his busted hip and wired wrist, and belt the living shit out of them with his walking stick.”

I know of Don Tait from some yrs ago. What happened to him? Was he in a car crash or what? How did he get hurt?

Could Jack Williams please pass on my regards for a speedy recovery. Thank you.

Cheers, Bob Coker
www.thecasualtylist.com

To: Allen Petersen ; hill55@vtown.com.au
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:37 PM

Having recently lost another one of my relatives who served in Vietnam, and having listened to Wayne Swan’s talk to the National Press Gallery, I needed a good laugh. So I logged on to the AVM website to see what rubbish the gutless girls have been spruking.  Wasn’t disappointed. I bet all those who served in the Reserves, me included, will take exception to their comments that “real” men do not serve in the reserves and that Mansford and Weeks could not command “real” men so they were promoted to command reservists!!!  I bet these AVM gutless wonders aren’t even veterans. I bet that none of them made it above Private!!  If they were real veterans and “real” men they would have the guts to use their own names.  But that’s right, there scared that Don Tait will limp around, with his busted hip and wired wrist, and belt the living shit out of them with his walking stick.  I bet he could to. Yep, these AVM girls are real heoes, real men, real veterans, NOT!!!  Bet they don’t know that all the veterans I talk to ridicule them and laugh at them calling them posers and pussies.  They certainly don’t believe these AVM idiots have any credibility or courage.

I have read Mansford’s book, the Mad Galahs.  It’s a great read.  I am aware of his great work up near Tully in QLD.  The gutless girlies of the AVM could never be able to achieve what Mansford has done yet they accuse him of betraying our soldiers!!!  I am also awre of all the work being done by Weeks, together with Chitham, Criss, Gibson and Jamison are doing to get a fair go for all our old ADF members and their families. I've logged on to Weeks’s website www.justafairgo.net and Chitham’s website www.standto.org and these blokes need our thanks not our hatred or criticism.  I guess all these fellows must also be Mad Galahs because they work with Mansford and Weeks. From what I read on the AVM that’s all you have to do be be accused of all types of treachery and conspiracy?  Wouldn’t it be beaut if these AVM maggots stopped peddling their shit and did something usefull for a change.

You should make your own minds up about these AVM gutless girls who pretend they are God.  At least Tait, Mansford and Weeks have the guts to use there own names.  I am not a Tait supporter but, I have seen what Mansford and Weekes have done and still do for all our diggers and I know who I trust and its not the AVM gutless girlies.  If you want a good laugh, log on to their website and see what dribble they go on with. Theres enough friction within the veteran group without these idiots destroying what's left of you and that’s from a non-veterans point of view.

John (Jack) Williams

Read up on these fakes here

Westerway  http://www.austvetmatters.net/westerway.html
http://www.austvetmatters.net/terrywesterway.html

Muller  http://www.austvetmatters.net/muller.html
http://www.anzmi.net/muller/muller.html
More here
http://www.austvetmatters.net/updates.html

We have attached a document courtesy of the Aussie Digger regarding the nom de plumes McKenzie used in their forum. See attachment to read all about this pathetic poser.

* AGGIE.doc (72.5 KB - downloaded 647 times.)
« Last Edit: Sunday11March2012 by Zion » Logged
Ethelred
« Reply #39 on: Sunday11March2012 »

Mmmm, well I would be willing to bet anything " our Jack " is a fake name. I can't prove at this stage that the name is fake but I am willing to bet anything I am correct.

It just sounds too good to be true and the language is very similar to the language and emotions Weeks has used. Weekes was caught out ages ago using a nom de plume and when caught out admitted to using a fake name. There has been an attempt to try and cover up signature language by the insertion of throw aways and atypical language.

Tis wortha thought.
Zionist
« Reply #38 on: Sunday11March2012 »

What an appropriate name? Jack  flatchat96@gmail.com Jack of all trades and master of none.

Jack has logged onto the wrong forum. None of what he claims has been said in here has been said in here. This dude is a lying sicko, which means he fits perfectly into the Tate camp. Not a  Tait  sic supporter....my astrobole!!

Jack can't refute the truth with a truthful counter argument so he has resorted to lies and distortions. Why am I not surprised.

He can bait AVM as much as he wishes. We will never take such childish, intemperate bait. It tastes like crap and we don't like crap.

Gee all those visitors and hits we consistently get must mean nothing and they just visit AVM to laugh at us all. Um I don't think so.

This prick is not even a Veteran and thinks he can comment with authority on Veteran matters and the behaviour of a small group of basely evil Veterans.

Oh and dear Jack. Why hide behind a Gmail email address which can be changed at the drop of a hat flatchat96@gmail.com  Give is your ISP email address . Nah, you are too scared yet accuse us of hiding.

Get a life.
« Last Edit: Sunday11March2012 by Zion » Logged
CD

« Reply #37 on: Saturday10March2012 »

Oh my gawd, another Tate(or is that Tait) supporter.

To: Allen Petersen ; hill55@vtown.com.au
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:37 PM

Having recently lost another one of my relatives who served in Vietnam, and having listened to Wayne Swan’s talk to the National Press Gallery, I needed a good laugh. So I logged on to the AVM website to see what rubbish the gutless girls have been spruking.  Wasn’t disappointed. I bet all those who served in the Reserves, me included, will take exception to their comments that “real” men do not serve in the reserves and that Mansford and Weeks could not command “real” men so they were promoted to command reservists!!!  I bet these AVM gutless wonders aren’t even veterans. I bet that none of them made it above Private!!  If they were real veterans and “real” men they would have the guts to use their own names.  But that’s right, there scared that Don Tait will limp around, with his busted hip and wired wrist, and belt the living shit out of them with his walking stick.  I bet he could to. Yep, these AVM girls are real heoes, real men, real veterans, NOT!!!  Bet they don’t know that all the veterans I talk to ridicule them and laugh at them calling them posers and pussies.  They certainly don’t believe these AVM idiots have any credibility or courage.

I have read Mansford’s book, the Mad Galahs.  It’s a great read.  I am aware of his great work up near Tully in QLD.  The gutless girlies of the AVM could never be able to achieve what Mansford has done yet they accuse him of betraying our soldiers!!!  I am also awre of all the work being done by Weeks, together with Chitham, Criss, Gibson and Jamison are doing to get a fair go for all our old ADF members and their families. I've logged on to Weeks’s website www.justafairgo.net and Chitham’s website www.standto.org and these blokes need our thanks not our hatred or criticism.  I guess all these fellows must also be Mad Galahs because they work with Mansford and Weeks. From what I read on the AVM that’s all you have to do be be accused of all types of treachery and conspiracy?  Wouldn’t it be beaut if these AVM maggots stopped peddling their shit and did something usefull for a change.

You should make your own minds up about these AVM gutless girls who pretend they are God.  At least Tait, Mansford and Weeks have the guts to use there own names.  I am not a Tait supporter but, I have seen what Mansford and Weekes have done and still do for all our diggers and I know who I trust and its not the AVM gutless girlies.  If you want a good laugh, log on to their website and see what dribble they go on with. Theres enough friction within the veteran group without these idiots destroying what's left of you and that’s from a non-veterans point of view.

John (Jack) Williams
krt1.

« Reply #36 on: Friday09March2012 »

It appears that Donnie Boy has decided to take his Fabulous Fables World Wide.  What a Gronk!!
Donnie Boy, The D&E Platoon Fable is gone, finished, kaput, No More, designated Bull Shit, and filled as such.
  So Please don't start some thing which will only prove that which we all ready know. Go quietly to the Doctor and get your script filled. Then head off and get your self committed, before it is to late. No one will or can think any worse of you. If not for yourself do it so the shrinks have some one to play with. Tell them all your Fabulous Fables, and how you were the only one ever neglected by the system. How they never ever recognised you for your stumbling bravery in that Deep Green Jungles of Vietnam.
In other words Donnie me Boy, Just go away. Stop handling your self and get a manager.
Ethelred
« Reply #35 on: Friday09March2012 »

Zion, tell us more about the DVA car, I'm interested.
CD several people on AVM have reported that Tater was granted a 4 wd vehicle from dva because of his disabilities. Tate has never denied this. Do you know any disabled veteran who has ever been granted a 4 wd when they have all limbs? Tate must have spun a real yarn and studied the VEA 1986 day and night to find a loophole. He is a con man with a whole of life experience and will try anything. I wonder who pays the running costs for this vehicle? These yanks are silly as usual eh? Fancy falling for Tates lies after all the evidence that he is a liar and conman which exists on AVM for all to read.
Steel

« Reply #34 on: Friday09March2012 »

Ruger357, he certainly does need to do some research before opening his mouth. The Advertiser in Adelaide ran a story on 9 May 1970, pp. 1-3. 'Soldiers attack city (moratorium) marchers in  Adelaide.'  I'm pretty sure the article would be available from the State Library of South Australia.

Also from History Trust of South Australia Magazine is this statement by one of the protesters in Adelaide at the time :

From the other side of the frontier, Bob Ellis recollects a violent encounter
in Rundle Street where an anti-war protest march came up against an
angry group of soldiers home on leave:
The soldiers started spitting at us, flew into us, tore up the placards… I
don’t have a problem with the soldiers that went to Vietnam – in fact I
have some sympathy for those who suffered as a result of that conflict.
But when they were hitting me over the head with sticks and so forth at
demonstrations, I wasn’t well disposed towards them then.

I can also state that soldiers (including Nasho's) stationed in Perth had confrontations with the moratoriam marchers. Something that resulted in the higher ups forbidding soldiers to wear uniform when going into Perth. (Not many took any notice of that though)
Ruger357
« Reply #33 on: Friday09March2012 »

Oh Tate has such little history for research..

Oh, and he attended a Moriatorium March to protest against the marchers ?  Big deal DON  !!!

I read somewhere on a veterans site, including newspaper clippings, that 3 RAR based in Woodside at the time, just prior to heading off on their second tour, had an organised  "Bn Standown Day' which happened to co-incide with the Adelaide Protest Marches.  RSM Bill Hill "warned everyone to stay out of Adelaide"....well most of 3 RAR went into Adelaide and confronted the marchers, belted the shit out of them etc..

many diggers were arrested, and charged.  The RSL in SA paid the diggers fines....

the upshot of all this is that TATE, is still trying to fan the flames and cause discontent.......as his famous D & E platoon is just a figment of his imagination now....never in the annals of our military history....

For our US readers , please ignore the rantings and bullshit and crap emanating from TATE.....he is the most VILE arsehole whose name in on the VV Roll......a turd of the highest class...and have nothing to do with him, for fear of falling for his vile words if you disagree with anything he says

CD

« Reply #32 on: Friday09March2012 »

Zion, tell us more about the DVA car, I'm interested.
Zionist
« Reply #31 on: Friday09March2012 »

From ================
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:50 PM

Rumour has it, our hero TATE, is definitely, persona no grata, with the MAD GALAHS.  That’s right he is totally ostracised from The galahs.

The worm has also turned on Syd Mcleod for having the audacity to the take him to task, for running down Australian Vietnam veterans to the Yanks. This time with quote: I'd taken to them with fists and crutches as they'd marched past earlier- then when they assembled, I made my way right through the middle of them and demanded the right to speak to the lot of them and stick up for America and her allies. Not many other veterans in Australia had the courage to do so.

Tate, now has his fangs into Syd for crossing his path, and interrupting his sucking up to the Yanks for book sales squirming routine...Note the subject by Bernie Weisz; An Australian “Thing” Aussie VN Vets speak Out on U.S Peace Protestors.

For God’s sake Bernie, realise you’re dealing with a monster maggot, with a filthy “gambling habit” and no sense of decency.  You of all people (aren’t you a psychologist major) surely can see through Tate.

Take a close look at the snapshots of this grunt? loading a M79 with HE, and aiming the weapon with his finger on the trigger directly into the perimeter of Delta4...Note the stupid smirk on his face Bernie.  If you want the entire film clip, I will edit the clip and post it.  This person has a loaded and extremely lethal weapon, pointed directly at his comrades, with a reputation of having the ability of falling over backwards, when leaning forward? This was and still is considered the most horrendous of military offences, with one click away from potentially murdering numerous comrades (fratricide) with what amounts to an M26 grenade ready to discharge from the barrel of this weapon, aimed in an almost horizontal position.  Unlike some soldiers, who were charged with AD’s (accidental discharges), this showing off stupidity for the camera was deliberate, and almost unbelievable with the potential horror of such carelessness.

Okay Tate? and with respect to 9 Squadron, where is Andy Ochiltree & Mick Davidson.

Also note trouble making Tate stirring our American friends up with dustoffs.

Reliable sources also tell me Tate has a gigantic sign in his front yard, with additional sign writing all over his DVA car, promoting his book??  It’s not that good Donny Boy.

Wait out............

Sent: Thursday, 8 March 2012 3:30 PM
Subject: An Australian "Thing" Aussie VN Vets Speak Out on U.S Peace Protestors

Sent: 3/7/2012 11:15:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Re: Don Tate: Remember the Moratorium marches?

Here we go AGAIN I take you to task for running down other veterans i.e. while most Australian veterans ducked for cover and Not many other veterans in Australia had the courage to do so. and to add insult to injury you are doing it in another country and you try and turn it into an opinion contest.

Wake up pal what your doing is NOT an opinion it is an out right insult to other veterans. You are not dealing with school children now.

And yes American Bernie spread it, but make damn sure it gets a good airing in Australia I am sick of this type of rubbish.

Copy to Australian Bernie

Syd McLeod
87 Edison Street
Wulguru Q 4811
Australia

Cc: BernWei1@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: Don Tate: Remember the Moratorium marches?

Seems like only Syd has the right to an opinion. He may well have been over there fighting in 70/71, but I'd already done my bit by then and had already done a year in hospital by the time that moratorium came around. I was allowed out on day leave, and figured I should stand up for those still fighting up there - including the Syd McLeods of the world. If voicing an opinion gets up the noses of other veterans, who gives a ....? It's the right I earned, like every other bastard who fought up there, and in every war. I've been reading Syd 's opinions too, for years. What's the difference?
Don

In a message dated 3/7/2012 8:52:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, sydneymcleod@bigpond.com writes:

I don't know what is going on with Don, he says he has no more books to sell, so it does not make sense to me.

I do however take objection to "Well, while most Australian veterans ducked for cover" it is an arrogant uninformed opinion and I am starting to see why Don gets up other veterans snouts, with stupid ignorant statements like that.

I know my opinion at the time was over indulged ignorant brats wasting their time. but shit what would I know I was still fighting over there in 70-71 and ever grateful that it happened that way. Rather that then be fighting the Indonesians in Papua New Guinea, because no matter what would happen it would ALWAYS BE AMERICAS WAR TO LOSE AND US AUSSIES WOULD BE THE ONLY BENEFICIARIES, which I told the CIA dills at LoGom in 1968 and they gave them their own chopper to run around in and presumably allowed them to breed also, go figure.

People like Don never knew that.
Mac

Syd McLeod
87 Edison Street
Wulguru Q 4811
Australia

Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:23 AM
Subject: Don Tate: Remember the Moratorium marches?

Sent: 3/7/2012 5:55:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Remember the Moratorium marches?

Hi Bernie
Do you remember the Moratoriums during the Vietnam War.........? They reached their peak in 1970. (Maybe you weren't old enough.)

Well, while most Australian veterans ducked for cover, I took the bastards on. (You'll recall the story in 'The War Within')

The attached picture and news story was at the end of the march...I'd taken to them with fists and crutches as they'd marched past earlier- then when they assembled, I made my way right through the middle of them and demanded the right to speak to the lot of them and stick up for America and her allies. Not many other veterans in Australia had the courage to do so.

Regards

Sent: Friday, 2 March 2012 7:53 AM
To: h.dale@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Fwd: bravery of US HELICOPTER PILOTS

Sent: 2/29/2012 8:45:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Re: Fwd: bravery of US HELICOPTER PILOTS

Bernie,

My self as SSG, Harvey Coliin as a SP5, and 118 Montagnards were in deep shit on 5 June 1967.  While Harvey was rallying the Yards, I was on the PRC 25 begging for help.  My team leader Captain Donald Carr (MIA) told me that B 24 at Kontum, and the C team at Pleiku was socked in.  No one could get off the ground.  Had it not been for Harvey's bravery and decisive actions I would not be here now.  I turned the radio off  channel and was ready to shoot it full of holes so the bad guys (24 NVA Regiment) could not use it.  At that moment for what ever the reason the NVA withdrew.

Westy called the B tm and told them that we should be recomended for SS.  We were both put in for SS.  A couple of days later I had to go to the B TM for some admin BS.  While chatting with the clerk I learned that he was  an  SP4 and the B TM CO were out joying ridding in the B TM chopper to get in air time for their air medals.  Needless to say I had a shit  hemorrhage.  Mine and Harvey's SS were lost.

My last trip to Nam I was with CCC in Kontum.  When one of our teams got into trouble on the ground most of the American pilots had some asinine excuse for not going to help us.  IE. the gun ship is broken etc.  The only folks that we could depend on were the King Bees.

At Plateau Gi we spent a lot of time socked in the only people that would fly in under those conditions were the Aussies in their Wallabees.

So I will always have a deep and  undying respect for the King Bees and Wallabees.  And damned little for REMS that have Air Medals.

My 2 cents on the matter.

H. Dale Jennings

Sent: Tue, February 28, 2012 10:05:53 PM
Subject: Fwd: bravery of US HELICOPTER PILOTS

Sent: 2/28/2012 11:05:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Fwd: bravery of US HELICOPTER PILOTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Fx8XQxAew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRik3cOn4KM

Sent: 2/28/2012 7:52:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: bravery of US HELICOPTER PILOTS

G'day Bernie
Been watching the interplay re Australians/Americans in Vietnam...and the relative merits, thereof.

I'll tell you my experience......(and I'm cc'ing two others who were with me on the night, Andy Ochiltree and Mick Davidson for validation) into this letter. I was an Australian infantryman.

On July 19th 1969, our platOon walked into a Viet Cong bunker complex and we were ambushed.

One man, Pte Ray Kermode, was killed- and nine of us wounded, some very badly.

But because of the monsoon storm, and the battle still being underway, our Australian choppers refused to attend and evacuate the wounded.

Bu a passing U.S. casevac chopper detoured our way (some reports say the pilot used his blades to make a hole in the canopy but I can't confirm that) dropped a jungle penetrator and took the four worst wounded men out that night under extreme circumstances- including myself and Andy Ochiltree (who was awarded a medal for gallantry during the ambush). The other two men were Pte John Walker and Pte Derek Nixon-Smith. One of us- I think it was Ochiltree, was left dangling in space sitting astride the penetrator for a while when the winch jammed, and the chopper took off with him in that state.

I remember that the gunner was a big negro with arms like tree trunks hauling my scraggly white arse aboard.

I think the only reason me and Nixon-Smith survived was because of the bravery of that pilot.
So.......as it's been for 43 years, I have the greatest respect for American pilots and American servicemen across the board.

ATTACHMENT HAS IMAGES

* Tatetryingtosellbooktoyanks.doc (125 KB - downloaded 428 times.)
« Last Edit: Friday09March2012 by Zion » Logged
PQ

« Reply #30 on: Sunday04March2012 »

In the interests of accuracy, I have to correct Ric T's post.

He is quite correct re the use of the "ladder sight", however at ranges up to about 100 metres it is possible to use the sight in the folded position, There is a rudimentary "battle sight" (a V notch) at the base of the ladder sight. This would normally have been used if firing canister shot rather than the HE or illuminating rounds, and would be fired from the shoulder.

At ranges over 100 metres, or when using HE or Illum, the ladders sight is raised, set to the estimated range, and the butt tucked into the waist when the launcher is fired. The trajectory is very steep compared to a rifle, and requires a lot of elevation to achieve longer ranges.

The HE round does not arm until it has left the barrel (by about 15 meters, IIRC), and would not explode at at short range. I would be astonished if Tate was a grenadier in the section, using the M79 to best effect required a lot of training and a soldier with initiative to direct HE fire where it would not endanger his own men. His own Section Commander is on record as regarding Tate as incompetent.

« Last Edit: Sunday04March2012 by PQ » Logged
Ric T

« Reply #29 on: Sunday04March2012 »

I never served in an Infantry unit, but I did receive instruction on the M79 during some weapon familiarization training during my time.

I was under the impression that when the weapon was aimed, it was by using the 'elevation sight' to allow for the weight and trajectory of the round fired.

From my observation of the last pic in the series below, if the trigger was pressed in this instance, the round would fall well short of any intended target.  Dagerously short in fact.

Would this be a fair assessment?
Zionist
« Reply #28 on: Saturday03March2012 »

Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2012 2:35 PM

Good question: Where is Corse, Wiltshire, Westerway & Briggs.  Why aren’t  they bringing up the rear in support of Tate, now attacking the honour 9 Squadron RAAF.  Could you imagine the chatter going on in the background though.

Bloody amazing how TATE’S SELECTIVE MEMORY comes and goes, as the situation warrants (i.e, promotion of his book’s fantasy fables). I THOUGHT THE IRON BAR episode destroyed his cognition, and memory processes of Vietnam? (I’ve actually heard a different story from the most reliable of sources within Dapto, amongst other things) that directly concerns an attack on him by his pupils during a school excursion. FOLLOWING THE ALLEGED BRA PINCHING EPISODES!   This alleged attack whatever, concussed our hero to such an extent, that he suffered brain damage, apparently leaving him with a very vague recollection of matters in Vietnam.   He certainly has no recollection of any events at Thua Tich with D & E Platoon Task Force (except those elicited from comrades) and hence proffered to his publisher for inclusion into his memoir. Tate however remains steadfast about his heroism with Delta Coy 4 RAR? BULLSHIT – SEE THE CLIPS FROM GRUNT, and now insists with great detail that all the events of the 19 July 1969, are accurate, and I might add, without a care in the world who or what unit may suffer from his delusional machinations.

Our hero Tate?  of course is a little master magician of manipulation, subterfuge and deception, always has been.  Far from the Fight to the Finish disquiet putting him off, his ramblings and musings of a wannabe continues.  We will never get rid of this prick, but who can standby and allow him to continue this denigration.

it’s irrelevant who performed the dustoff, Tate has already inflicted damage on 9 SQN, and really doesn’t care, because he is channelling all this to the USA, for book promotion purposes. THAT DAMN BOOK AGAIN!

I’m so infuriated, like Syd McLeod, so take a look at this series of pics from his self portrait: Grunts, on how to load an M79 with HE, finger on trigger, aiming within the Horse Shoe perimeter at  Delta Coy, and imagine having him in your rifle section, especially as a forward scout.

NO WONDER HIS SECTION COMMANDER RAN HIS ARSE AROUND THE HORSE SHOE, 4 RAR’S RSM WOULD HAVE HAD HIS BALLS

Sent: Saturday, 3 March 2012 7:03 AM
Subject: Fwd: clarifying the 9 Sqn matter

Sent: 3/2/2012 4:13:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: clarifying the 9 Sqn matter

Bernie....as usual, whenever anyone dares raise an issue concerning the Vietnam War, you can guarantee it will become a shit-fight.
Let me clear the air about this latest.......

I made the comment, and will stand by it, that on the night that I was wounded (July 19th 1969) along with nine others, that Australian casevac choppers would not come in and take the wounded out. Now......that was my recollection- and I was THERE, on the ground with my hip shot off so I KNOW what I'm talking about. I recalled a lot of angst about the refusal of the Australians to come in.

Keep in mind that I'm in shock at that point, there's a battle still going on and a monsoon storm crashing over us. I was not privy to radio comms or any decisions made by anyone- either on the ground, in the air, or back at the Task Force HQ.

Eventually, an American chopper came in, and chopped off some of the canopy with his blades, and took four of us out. We were regarded as the worst wounded. These were: Pte Derek Nixon-Smith; Pte John Walker; L/Cpl Andew Ochiltree; and myself. Three of us went out by litter. One, was still being winched up when the chopper took off. ( The winch had jammed.)

When we got to Vung Tau, the man who was worst wounded was immediately transferred to an American hospital at Bien Hoa by Australian chopper. The next morning- the 20th July 1969, the remaining wounded men were airlifted out. Now, Brian Dinou (a respected officer from 9Sqn) provided a list of dates and times which stated that Australian choppers flew two missions on the 19th July and took all nine casualties out.

This was incorrect.When I attempted to clarify this, Brian conceded that it was possible that the logs were incorrect.

Syd McLeod argued two points:
- that I was not privy to the administrative processes that were involved in decisions concerning casevacs

- and that whover was ultimately responsible, the fact that all casualties were safely removed was all that mattered

Syd is right about that. But the central issue that bothers me is that too often, history seems to be modified. Syd himself, is the victim of this- his whole MAT units have disappeared from the records. I say again- the gunner who pulled us inside was an American Negro and Ochiltree made observations about the weaponry to preclude any possibility that there was some interchange between the forces going on. All I've done is attempt to get that small piece of history correct. And Andrew Ochiltree MM has confirmed it. No cover-up. No conspiracy theories.

Just the facts.
End of the matter.

On 29/02/2012, at 7:22 PM, "Syd McLeod" <sydneymcleod@bigpond.com> wrote:

Giday Brian I believe you and your good wife are friends of my special friend Del Heuke.

Now for this, apparently I am the originally cause of all this, as usual veterans run off in various tangents that have nothing what so ever to do with the subject in hand.

I will tell you this, during the Canberra Welcome home I stayed where a lot of 9 Squadron stayed, there were people there who were spreading fallacies about 9 Sqn, I made it quite clear that I would flatten the next person to say anything like that.

Apart from the fact I knew of command restrictions on not only 9 Sqn but the USAF also, I can verify that when Sgt. Tom Bernie from 2 RAR 70/71 got shot it was a 9 Sqn. chopper who chopped his way in to get him out, how do I know I was the dill standing up with the strobe light making a target of myself to guide the pilot. It was my understanding that pilots rotor blades were a write off when he got back to Vung Tau.

If anything I had more of a problem with the overall restrictions. because when one of my Vietnamese diggers was blown up they refused to send a dustoff or any other chopper, it took me almost 2 hours to get him out to a Vietnamese medical facility and he died just before arrival, if he had been one of us he would have lived to see the baby boy his wife just gave birth to just as I returned to our little fort. That was the first and only time I cried in that corrupt conflict.
No mate NOBODY will put down 9 Squadron on my watch.ac

Syd McLeod
87 Edison Street
Wulguru Q 4811
Australia

* snapshot43.jpg (75.35 KB, 720x576 - viewed 805 times.)

* snapshot44.jpg (75.14 KB, 720x576 - viewed 808 times.)

* snapshot45.jpg (69.4 KB, 720x576 - viewed 829 times.)

* snapshot46.jpg (73.54 KB, 720x576 - viewed 799 times.)

* snapshot47.jpg (73.32 KB, 720x576 - viewed 819 times.)

* snapshot48.jpg (72.64 KB, 720x576 - viewed 802 times.)
Ethelred
« Reply #27 on: Saturday03March2012 »

Yes CD tis illuminating to know how many weekend warriors have tried to carve out a heroic place for themselves in the annals of the Military, Keith Joyce from Rockhampton is another. He spent most of his service in CMF and School Cadets as a CMF member and just over 3 years as a regular soldier yet he had many people convinced he was a long serving professional soldier who was a hero in the military. Mansford has never left the military [ another one who can't let go ] and up until recent years would trot himself off to RMC Duntroon to lecture the young Staff Cadets. I'll bet there were many laughts behind his back. Just think how you would have reacted with some old dodderer lecturing you as a young soldier ho ho. Weekess was a regular officer [ was conscripted as a nasho officer and signed over ] BUT he only made Colonel in the regular army despite the propaganda put out and his willingness to let people think he was a Brigadier in the regular army. That silly old woman Bernie McGurgan, who seems to spend his life on his computer, made Major in school cadets yet behaves as if he commanded a Division ho ho What jokes.

It goes without saying there have been many many weekend warriors who have never tried to embellish their service records and reputations but many have and they are a disgrace.

All these pricks and others were in the vanguard leading the push to support Tate and the fabled 2nd D&E Platoon so where are they now? They were more interested in hanging onto Tates coat tails thinking they were gunna embellish their tainted reputations. Aint it funny how these slimes always sat by and never said a word when Tate abused and denigrated people yet they were always there willing to moralise about the behaviour of others. The lot have done more to damage the reputation of the Military than anybody in history.
« Last Edit: Saturday03March2012 by Shadow » Logged
CD

« Reply #26 on: Friday02March2012 »

Hey Shadow, I reckon Weekes and Mansford have both gone the way of Corse.  All 3 of them ended up in either CMF and/or Cadet units because the Army didn't want them in "real" units for men.
Steel

« Reply #25 on: Friday02March2012 »

I remember that the gunner was a big negro with arms like tree trunks hauling my scraggly white arse aboard.

U.S Medevac choppers were not armed (and to my knowledge still aren't) therefore he couldn't have seen a gunner .If in fact it was a U.S Medevac chopper.

After a bit of further checking, seems some US medevac choppers did carry gunners

A Medevac crew consisted of the Aircraft Commander, Co-Pilot, Crew Chief, Door Gunner and a Medic. During some missions, gunships provided protection for a Medevac. Although most Dustoffs were unarmed, the 1st Cav Div Medevacs carried two M-60 machine guns for defensive purposes only (the Crew Chief manned the other M-60).
« Last Edit: Saturday03March2012 by Steel » Logged
krt1.

« Reply #24 on: Friday02March2012 »

And it came to pass that the Wise Men of the A.W.M. saw the Lies, Bullshit and Fiction associated with the Mythical 2nd D&E Plt, that they did smite it from the annuals of The Vietnam War History. Delegating it to the list of Bad Fiction Books which have been written.

How ever this action was not to deter the Mad Man of the South, one named Tatter, Donnie Boy, Mk 1+ , call sign: Stumbles.

With the determination of a wet muffin, Donnie Stumbles Tatter has now turned his keen green eyes of envy, upon those Incredible Men and Heroes of the R.A.A.F's 9 Sqn. The very same Men who would and did risk life and limb to fly at ALL TIMES to answer the call of their Fellow Combaten no matter what weather, what action or what place they called from or too!

The only reason I could ever come up with, why they wouldn't go in and pick up the Tatter was they had a premonition of his derogatory, sarcastic, disposition to come. May be they wanted to save the world from this gutter creeping pedophile, of a maggoty low scummed depraved drongo who masquerades as the man that would have  won the war if only they would  listened to him.
If they ever berry you Boy your plot will be the token of Poisoned Ground.

Ethelred
« Reply #23 on: Friday02March2012 »

Wots happened to Weekes and Mansford?Huh?? Aren't they gunna go into battle for their golden haired little boy and the fake 2nd D&E Platoon? I suppose they will sit by as usual and watch while he now denigrates the men of 9 Sqn? Isn't it amazing how bottom feeders all flock together. Weekes and Mansford are both limelight loving prima donnas who thought they could add another notch to their inflated opinions of themselves. The whole bloody lot are a disgrace to the Defence Force and veteran community.
Boots

« Reply #22 on: Friday02March2012 »

But because of the monsoon storm, and the battle still being underway, our Australian choppers refused to attend and evacuate the wounded.HuhHuh

What an insult!!!

Tate can't help himself.

Has to denigrate someone to get his jollys.

Zionist
« Reply #21 on: Friday02March2012 »

Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 9:40 AM
Subject: What a hero Tate is?

Sounds like Bernie Weise has finally got the gist of Tater.

Sent: Friday, 2 March 2012 9:58 AM
To: bddirou@iinet.net.au
Subject: Re: NO. 9 SQUADRON RAAF CASUALTY EVACUATION OPERATIONS

Brian...I have checked. Nothing exists in the U.S with that title. Sounds awesome, though! Wish you would officially publish it! I'm sending this out to all my authors! Hopefully some will respond directly to you and help you!
Kind regards, Bernie Weisz

Gents: Please respond directly to Brian Dirou at:
bddirou@iinet.net.au

In a message dated 3/1/2012 5:05:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, bddirou@iinet.net.au writes:
Hello Bernie,

I have written The Bushranger Story - '...and so, a Gunship was born', that being about development of the RAAF UH-1H helicopter gunship, a version of the Iroquois unique in the world. It is a story in pdf format with 188 images, self-published on CD for reading on a computer but not actively promoted as yet. A year or so back, I was contacted by an agency in Australia acting for a US organisation seeking to publish same as an e-book. I ultimately dealt with a guy in America to negotiate a deal but was not impressed with his off-hand treatment in correspondence. He eventually advised that he was about to lose his job as the particular outfit was quickly closing down, but he suspected that action might have already been put in train to publish my copyrighted story without approval. Communication was terminated and nothing since heard, but I would be grateful for advice if your sources detect that it has been improperly published in the US because then there will probably be a legal brawl.

I have many other stories as yet untold and have reserved a couple of domain names to perhaps propagate them through those mediums. The problem has hitherto been overriding domestic issues which are only now beginning to ease somewhat and time left on the planet is another consideration (now 74).

The 'Year of the Rat' sounds like a very interesting read and I will pursue that.

The 2 attachments illustrate the forementioned CD and case insert.

Cheers for now and stay well,

BRIAN DIROU

At 10:16 AM 1/03/2012, you wrote:
Brian:write your memoirs!!!!!!
Cheers, Bernie Weisz

In a message dated 2/29/2012 4:46:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, bddirou@iinet.net.au writes:
Hi Bernie,

I am unaware of some previous dialogue between other parties referred to concerning '...interplay re Australians/Americans in Vietnam...', but I perhaps hold the biggest collection of historical data re No. 9 Squadron RAAF Vietnam War operations which lasted 5.5 years or 2,000 days. During that time, the Squadron flew 58,768 hours which was more than any other unit in any campaign during the entire 91 year history of the Royal Australian Air Force. Some 4,357 casevacs/medevacs of Australian, New Zealand, US and Vietnamese personnel (including non-combatants) were effected. A statistics table is attached.
For most of the war, 9SQN did not provide a dedicated aircraft and crew for casevac purposes during daylight hours which was a resources issue because the on-line force of 13 from 16 aircraft were often fully committed to cover trooplifting and gunship roles when moving infantry units in particular.

When 9SQN initially deployed to Phuoc Tuy Province in June 1966, the US Army agreed to provide a dedicated medevac aircraft during daylight hours and 9SQN provided 2 aircraft and crews on night standby. When adequate facilities had been developed at Nui Dat later in the war, one aircraft and crew were positioned there overnight. The overwhelming bulk of casualties in the 1ATF AO were usually recovered by the nearest 9SQN aircraft, the aim being to get wounded/injured to medical care as swiftly as possible to give the best chance of survival.

My second tour ended in the previous month after getting a gunship capability operational (another story) and herewith some condensed extracts from the official Unit History for early July 1969 focusing primarily on casevac activities and excluding mention of other action events for brevity (19JUL69 highlighted).

4JUL69 - A night dustoff this evening that involved NDO1, NDO2 and NDO3 flown by PLTOFF I. G. Harvey, PLTOFF G. J. McFarlane and PLTOFF M. R. Tardent respectively. 'C' Coy of 5RAR whilst moving at night, about 2200 hours, denonated a mine which killed 1 and wounded several more. The remainder of the Company gave first aid whilst awaiting dustoff and unfortunately detonated a second mine. When the NDO aircraft arrived, only 2 members of the Platoon involved were able to give the aircraft crews any assistance....Total of 19 WIA and 1 KIA.

8JUL69 - At 0400 hours, FSB 'THRUST' was attacked by mortar and 2 Aust WIA resulted. NDO1 flown by PLTOFF P. R. Bradford dusted off the wounded.

18JUL69 - FLTLT G. A. Oldfield RNZAF, NDO1 dusted off 1 Aust fever case from YS404625 at 2215 hours. Other dustoffs were flown by FLTLT E. Y. Creelman RNZAF from YS389907 with 3 Aust WIA with gunshot wounds and then 1 Aust from Vampire to Long Binh for specialist treatment to a head wound. PLTOFF G. J. McFarlane lifted 5 Aust WIA, gunshot wounds, of 'C' Coy 9RAR from YS 389907.

19JUL69 - FLTLT E. Y. Creelman RNZAF flew NDO1 with an Aust WIA, head wound, from Vung Tau to 24 Evac Hospital at Long Binh. The same Officer dusted off 3 Aust WIA lying patients from YS389907 at 1940 hours. PLTOFF G. J. McFarlane NDO2 was responsible for dusting off 5 Aust WIA. The wounded were all from 'C' Coy 9RAR and had to be winched out from trees.

20JUL69 - An ARVN soldier at FSB Baton attempted to commit suicide by eating poisonous tablets. NDO1 flown by FLTLT E. Y. Creelman RNZAF took the soldier to 36 Evac Hospital.

21JUL69 - Callsign 13 of 6RAR were involved in 2 mine explosions that caused 2 KIA and 3WIA . One of the wounded was LTCOL Butler, the CO of 6RAR. WGCDR R. W. Hibben flying ALB01 dusted off 1 KIA and 1 WIA, SQNLDR R. J. Crimmins dusted off the remainder.
23JUL69 - ALB03, SQNLDR R. J. Crimmins dusted off 1 Aust KIA and 2 Aust WIA from Vampire to 36 Evac Hospital.

25JUL69 - 2 ARVN soldiers wounded in an explosion were dusted off from Long Son Island by PLTOFF G. J. McFarlane to 36 Evac Hospital...

26JUL69 - .A jungle penetrator winch from 70 to 80 feet was used by FLGOFF P. R. Bradford to dustoff 3 Aust WIA from YS584675. PLTOFF G. J. McFarlane carried out dustoff of 1 Aust WIA from YS584675. The soldier from 9RAR was hit on the head by an RPG round which failed to explode. The lucky digger was dusted off to 1st Field Hospital.

Scattered throughout all that was appreciable trooplifting, SAS insertions/extractions, people sniffer missions, gunship operations, logistic support (hash & trash), etcetera.

It does not seem credible that 9SQN refused to conduct night casevacs due to thunderstorm activity. Considering Unit History casevac happenings for 19Jul69, it seems highly likely that the incident outlined by Don Tate involved a 9SQN night dustoff standby aircaft. I can easily contact pilots involved regarding confirmation of what happened.

All information provided is UNCLASSIFIED and feel free to relay publicly to other parties to counter what seems like misinformation. Some info addressees are embraced as Bcc.

Cheers for now and let me know if I can assist further,
BRIAN DIROU
Tele: 61 2 4997 3242
At 03:05 PM 29/02/2012, BernWei1@aol.com wrote:

Sent: 2/28/2012 11:05:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Fwd: bravery of US HELICOPTER PILOTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Fx8XQxAew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRik3cOn4KM

Sent: 2/28/2012 7:52:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: bravery of US HELICOPTER PILOTS
G'day Bernie
Been watching the interplay re Australians/Americans in Vietnam...and the relative merits, thereof.

I'll tell you my experience......(and I'm cc'ing two others who were with me on the night, Andy Ochiltree and Mick Davidson for validation) into this letter. I was an Australian infantryman.

On July 19th 1969, our platOon walked into a Viet Cong bunker complex and we were ambushed.

One man, Pte Ray Kermode, was killed- and nine of us wounded, some very badly.

But because of the monsoon storm, and the battle still being underway, our Australian choppers refused to attend and evacuate the wounded.

Bu a passing U.S. casevac chopper detoured our way (some reports say the pilot used his blades to make a hole in the canopy but I can't confirm that) dropped a jungle penetrator and took the four worst wounded men out that night under extreme circumstances- including myself and Andy Ochiltree (who was awarded a medal for gallantry during the ambush). The other two men were Pte John Walker and Pte Derek Nixon-Smith. One of us- I think it was Ochiltree, was left dangling in space sitting astride the penetrator for a while when the winch jammed, and the chopper took off with him in that state.

I think the only reason me and Nixon-Smith survived was because of the bravery of that pilot.

So.......as it's been for 43 years, I have the greatest respect for American pilots and American servicemen across the board.

BETTER READ IF YOU OPEN THE ATTACHMENT

* 9_Sqn_RAAF_Facts.doc (76.5 KB - downloaded 530 times.)
phantom

« Reply #20 on: Thursday01March2012 »

I was in Vietnam in 70-71 and we worked very closely with 9 Sqn. I have nothing but praise for the work they did and the professional way in which they did it to assist all units. In particular with Hot Extractions of SAS patrols under fire. Hearing those mini guns going and seeing the side door gunners hanging out firing their twins 60's as they did a pass was a sight to see.

Don Tate is really starting to get on my nerves and he would not want to cross paths with me.
Zionist
« Reply #19 on: Thursday01March2012 »

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:38 PM
Subject: What a hero Tate is?

These emails landed on my desk just this morning?  Does the first part mean Tater and Frank of GHOST PLATOON fame, owe monies to Jim Riddle?  If so, pay up Tate! I don’t think Frank would have made monetary promises. Sounds like a repeat of the abuse Jim suffered with the unveiling of the DON TATE OVAL commemorative debacle.  This series of incidents was reported to the AVM sometime in 2009

Irrespective of what other members may think, I personally have the greatest respect for Jim Riddle as a great warrior, and it is really sad to see him end up this way, and he certainly deserves more respect from this slithering swindling ‘bunco artist’ the Snake Tate!

What a confidence trickster (fucking shyster) of the worst kind, sitting back with his iPAD, scheming away.  What next, I wonder, because he is now “concentrated” on the events of the 19 July 1969, realising he’s bummed out with the rest of his wannabe fantasies, especially with Ashley Ekins’ Final Volumes of Australians in the Vietnam War: Fighting to the Finish, released for sale on the 24 February 2012.

Take a glimpse of this trash, by our hero Tate, and realise that he’s got nothing left to agonise over, except the events of the 19 July 1969.   This is Tate’s persona at the lowest ebb, attacking 9 SQN.   Why NOW Tate, raising your casevac of the 19 July 1969 to the whole world?  Nothing left to wallow in self pity..It’s all finished Tate, with no more self glorification, so please leave everyone alone, and get some urgent psychiatric help.

MAD GALAHS

FOR YOUR DISSEMINATION PLEASE ALLEN:

Please promulgate to all your addies Allen.

This form of entrapment as an "agent provocateur" is illegal under the NSW Crimes Act 1900, Westerworry.  "Do you realise that you have committed a punishable offence?" Again, I quote  res ipsa loquitur, with proof per se, of your intention, (a joint intention); a conspiracy if you like (two or more for a conspiracy at LAW) with what amounts to repeated and most determined attempts to incite me into committing an offence, punishable at law.

I guess by this time of night you would be into your second bottle of plonk.   You should raise these circumstances in mitigation.

"Whoops-a-daisy"? Doh!

Not so with Jim though was it?

Ted Colmer

Tue 7/02/2012 10:28 AM

Allen J Petersen

The USED, ABUSED & NOT AMUSED Jim Riddle.

Like emails are circulating to various recipients

Apparently the cheque didn't arrive in the mail?

So sad for such a great warrior.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, 6 February 2012 5:57 PM
To: remloc@optusnet.com.au; jim@kultcher.com; rod.hilton@aph.gov.au; andrewmacdonald@rslqld.org; dmanski@bigpond.net.au; angelnet@brisnet.org.au; ian@zunta.com
Subject: Your question

its funny how the tables have turned      http://felizlactancia.com.ar/work-at-home.php?qolinkFriend=5xzux

To: sydneymcleod@bigpond.com, warvet_69@yahoo.com
CC: BernWei1@aol.com
Sent: 2/29/2012 6:56:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Re: 9 Sqn on July 19th 1969

Hello all,

Just to clarify and hopefully calm the debate that seems to be raging on a broader scale; there was no misrepresentation of information in the extracts I provided from the Official Air Force Unit History document for No. 9 Squadron. The entries for 19JUL69 indicate 3 casualties were evacuated at night (1940 hours) and another 5 subsequently, with no timing mentioned. Even though the second group were evacuated by one of the night dustoff standby aircraft, that presumably happened at or soon after first light the following morning.

There were quite flexible detailed 9SQN SOPs for night casevac operations as evidenced by the high number of night casevacs/medevacs conducted throughout the campaign. The judgement as to whether casevacs would be attempted was usually an Army decision in the HQ 1ATF Command Post. I spent about 10 weeks at Nui Dat as Task Force Air Commander Representative and only intervened once to direct abort of a night casevac of a wounded enemy soldier for interrogation because the opposition were also displaying a strobe light in very close proximity to the PZ.

The following condensed personal profile should satisfy those who doubt my capacity to provide authoritative information:

Profile - Wing Commander Brian Dirou, DFC (Retired)

21 years RAAF service flying mainly Dakota, Sabre and Iroquois aircraft.

Tours of duty in Vietnam during 1968, 1969 and 1971 accumulating 4,360 sorties.

Involved in 211 insertions/extractions of Australian Special Air Service patrols.

Mission Leader for 2 of only 4 night extractions of SAS patrols engaged with the enemy during Australian Vietnam involvement earning an ‘in-the-field’ award of the Distinguished Flying Cross invested personally by HRH Queen Elizabeth II.

Project Officer for design, development and operational introduction of the RAAF UH-1H Iroquois (Bushranger) helicopter gunship.

Participated in 50 engagements with the opposition including 15 flying Bushranger gunships during May 1969.

Commanding Officer No. 9 Squadron RAAF during 1976/77.

Retired early from the Air Force in 1978 after 4 years at Wing Commander rank.

Involved in international airline flight training in Australia, Austria, Kuwait (post-Gulf War) and Brunei preceding retirement in 1999.

Cheers to all,

BRIAN DIROU
Tele: (02) 4997 3242

At 09:02 AM 1/03/2012, Syd McLeod wrote:
I have already replied to this and no Syd McLeod did not say because of operational rules here's what I said only to you Don I am not denying the circumstance what I am saying is that you have no appreciation of what happens once the process is set in motion. There are so many things that come into play fuel loads, availability, what else is happening in your area, none of which you know about, maintenance, turn around,protocols, command decisions, triage in the field, acceptable risk (it is no good going in to make some comfortable at the expense of lives of others if they are stabilized) and many others. So you do not go making assumptions on some unknown who is not privy to any of this information.

It would seem to me seeing as all those who could be saved were, so the bottom line it was a successful operation regardless if you agree in how it was carried out.
Mac
To: "Syd McLeod" <sydneymcleod@bigpond.com>; <BernWei1@aol.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:49 AM
Subject: 9 Sqn on July 19th 1969

My thanks to Brian Dirou for acknowledging the accuracy of my recollection of events of the 19th July 1969. What irks me about this though is that when he listed the dates and activities of the casevac choppers on that night, he clearly stated that five men were also taken out. That put me in an embarrassing position - completely contradicting me. So as I said - why did he put out that misinformation in the first place?
I will still state no Aussie chopper got us out that night, not because they didn't want to, but as Syd McLeod says, because of operational rules.
Don Tate

Sent from my iPad

« Last Edit: Thursday01March2012 by Zion » Logged
CD

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday28February2012 »

Zion:

"involved in the ambush he set over on the west of the province, "

methinks you meant "East" of the province didn't you?

Um CD that was an email from an AVM member. I did look at that but didn't want to change what we were sent. I too think he meant " East ". Anyways we all get the message. There was NO 2ND D&E Platoon, period, end of story, fini, finito.

If the member reads this he might like to clarify just what he meant to say eh?

Oh dear oh dear oh me. I wonder how long we will have to wait for the abuse from taters?
« Last Edit: Tuesday28February2012 by Zion » Logged
Ethelred
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday28February2012 »

Why am I not surprised at the honesty and common sense displayed by the AWM and it's historians. They have no choice but to abide by the Commanders diaries and other official documents and they have no obligation to take any notice of the ramblings and lies of Tate and his lying, fairy tale cohorts. Let's all make some stories up and write some fairy tale to get War history changed ho ho. Corse saving the day at the Battle of Coral would be a great start ho ho

The fake 2 nd D& E Platoon claimants were always going to end up with egg on their faces because ultimately the truth always prevails. Tate is not the only fake with egg on his face. You can add Weekes[ promoted to Brigadier in the Army Reserve and not the Regular Army  after decades of service! ] Mansford [ promoted to Lt Colonel with pressure from Kim Beazley and then to Brigadier , both promotions in  the Army Reserve and not the Regular Army after decades of service  ! ] McGurgan [ rose to the dizzy height of Major in the school cadets and who has collected wives like you collect memorabilia ] the galahs, Murdoch books and Frank Walker [ wrote a fake book on hero Tate to make money for his retirement ] to the list plus the gullible politicians Kelly and whatshername who used to be in the ACTU as a militant unionist..

If the Tate supporters truly were genuine in their support of this non existent , fairy story Platoon they must now back Tate up when he starts his next hate campaign against the AWM and politicians, and God knows who else. Betcha they don't back Tate up and let him carry the can.

Cheats never prosper.
« Last Edit: Tuesday28February2012 by Shadow » Logged
Zionist
« Reply #16 on: Monday27February2012 »

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 3:02 PM
Subject: Have a copy of the third & final volume of the Vietnam Official History

Today I received my copy of the final volume of the official history, and the first thing I had to check was the 2nd DE Pl, there is mention of DE Pl but no 2nd DE Platoon.

Tate also gets a mention I think it was about the contact he was wounded in – Captain Arrowsmith also gets a mention involved in the ambush he set over on the west of the province, you know the one that Tate claims was only successful because of L/Cpl Riddle was the hero who took command.

Ho Hum at last it is all over and Tate has had all his claims debunked.
« Last Edit: Monday27February2012 by Zion » Logged
CD

« Reply #15 on: Sunday19February2012 »

Make your mind up zunt46.  Is the 46 your year of birth or your IQ?
Ethelred
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday14February2012 »

Zunt thanks for the personal, first hand expose you posted below this post.

If Tate wasn't so downright vile and dangerous one would have to feel pity for him. His history in the Army and elsewhere, has been pathetic. Really one can only say he is a waste of breathing space to the country. I knew  stumble bums and 6 fingered diggers in the Army and this was allowed for and they were guided to protect them from harm and get the best possible response from them to do the job and help protect their mates. None of these blokes has ever carried on with the lies, grandiose behaviour and viciousness which Tate has.

I think we are all Tated out and wouldn't it be nice if he would ride off into the wild blue yonder, leave us all in peace and start doing something positive with his life, like helping his fellow Veterans.

Tate is a very very mentally sick man but his sickness does not excuse his behaviour, it just explains it. Many thousands of Vietnam Veterans have suffered physically and mentally in horrific ways but they get on with life as best they can, they don't whinge or moan and many many disabled VVs are out there helping their mates in one way or another.

I doubt Tate will ever learn and will go to an early grave a bitter, spiteful and loathed man. I cannot think of a more despised VV.
zunt46

« Reply #13 on: Sunday12February2012 »

My recollections of Donny are of a very young, very inexperienced soldier who joined a platoon of infantry who'd been 'in country' for more than six months when he arrived as a 'reo'.
I think Donny was keen to prove himself to men he imagined as his peers and in these efforts quite often achieved the opposite as he stumbled his way through the ops.
We'd already lost members of the platoon KIA before Donny's arrival and were well aware of the consequences if one 'fucked up', I don't believe Don was fully aware of this at the time, perhaps he couldn't have been?
We were very fortunate in Delta in having some very experienced senior & junior NCO's, TD was certainly one of the most experienced Sect Comd's in the company.
Many of us had already seen active service in Borneo with the company prior to arriving in SVN in mid-'68, so although we'd never been 'blooded' to coin a phrase,  we certainly knew what active service and counter-insurgency patrolling was all about, something missing entirely from Donny's repertoire. We did our best to maintain his 'training' whilst he was with us and I'm sure he benefited by his exposure to troops who'd had a lot of experience, although sometimes one wondered as Don had an almost innate ability to move from the almost vertical to the almost prone position at the drop of a hat, his nickname, "Stumbles" was probably well earned.
I recall one incident whilst we were in a fire support base, we'd just had a resup of clean greens and had the luxury of a shower, we were all feeling almost human again and were gathered around the gun pit for an evening 'o' group. Don achieved the almost impossible feat of falling backwards, head first into the pit, most would have suffered a broken neck, Don merely emerged covered in the red dust of SVN, unscathed.
Same fire base, different day, Don and another digger, charged with bouncing the coils of 'Dannett?' wire across the track to the front of our gun pit, having achieved his end of the wire, Don pirouetted and fell full length into the wire, it wasn't the Aussie stuff, it was that horrible yank wire with the sharp blades, took us ten minutes to cut the poor bugger out....
You're starting to get a feel for 'Stumbles' now?
I think many of almost implored Don to RTA with us when the tour was over, believing that he was in mortal danger of not returning whole to Oz.
Sadly as history has shown we were right...A couple of months after our RTA Donny was knocked over in a contact with 9 and has suffered ever since.
Many of us carry the scars of that nasty war still, most of us have done our best to move on and accept that as in all wars, mistakes are made but by and large we all did our job as best we could and have nothing to be ashamed of....
Perhaps Don it's time you tried to do the same....Look back on your time with Delta 4 as part of a learning experience, you were fortunate to have had people around you who essentially looked after you & guided you, kept you alive, don't denigrate them or others that you had the privilege of serving beside....
Ethelred
« Reply #12 on: Sunday12February2012 »

Tate's own words describe how trouble has followed him throughout his life, in many walks of life. Now one has to ask why. It is obvious that the trouble which has followed Tate has been of his own doing and because of his own behaviour. You know the type. Always stirring the pot, always aggressive and argumentative and always unwilling to accept the points of view of others.

An interesting question is " why was Tate marking papers in a school toilet" ? Don't school teachers use the common room for that or do it at home?

Tate is his own worst enemy BUT he will never ever accept that he bears any responsibility for the situations he has found himself in in life. Of course this is taking Tate at his word and accepting that what he has related is true. He tells so many convoluted lies one can never really accept what he says without question and to try and make sense of his lies is impossible.

Tate and his small band of supporters have succeeded where the moratorium marchers never succeeded. They have caused disunity among Vietnam Veterans.The moratorium marchers came and went, had success for a short period of time until the people understood they were motivated generally by political bias and blamed the wrong people for the Vietnam War [ ie Vietnam Veterans ] instead of attacking politicians. Yet all these years later, Tate has taken up their charter, denigrating the many fine men who served in Vietnam, attacking the Military as corrupt and trying to destroy all that is good and true about the many who suffered and died during that terrible time.

He is now the moratorium movement of the 21 st century leader, doing his very best to destroy us all. Sure, War is hell and many of us saw much in Vietnam, but we did our best with what we had and no attacks by Tate and his understudies who hate Vietnam Veterans will ever destroy the value we place in ourselves or what we did.
« Last Edit: Sunday12February2012 by Shadow » Logged
Steel

« Reply #11 on: Saturday11February2012 »

With all the controversy about which platoon Tate was in, the following may answer the question as to what platoon he was really in. It
should be noted that this information comes from his own website and the article he had posted on Independent Australia.

From his website.  http://www.dontate.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=34&Itemid=50
Article 21
Validation of My War Service.

• I was posted to “D” Coy 4RAR on the 27th January, 1969, along with Pte Jim Sillence, Pte Greg Sullivan, and Pte R. Brady
• Initially, I was placed in 12 Platoon, but at some point the Company Commander, Major Sullivan re-arranged the platoons. At that point, I
became part of 10 Platoon (in Cpl Tom Douglas’ section) and remained in that platoon for the duration of the battalion’s tour…some 100
days or so. I was always in the field with them (as members of that platoon validate, later)

c) Garry Winchester (‘The Bear’) a scout with 10 Platoon, states (email dated Nov 13th 2009):
I first can verify that Don Tate was in 4RAR/NZ. Reply to email as order of it.
1. Don Tate never served in 11 platoon.
2  He was always in Tom Douglas's section. When he said 10pl we use to be 12pl, but when the split up came , that's when we went to 10pl.

I think the split up came in March 1968,(Shouldn't that be March 1969) so Tate would have been in 12pl before we became 10pl as he
joined us in January 1968. (Shouldn't that be January 1969)

Also from his website
Article 9 : Concerning Don Tate

Cathcart states

In relation to Mr Tate’s confusion about which platoon he actually served with in the 4th RAR, I can report that he began with 7 Sect of 12

Platoon, then, with the departure of Lt Ross Sillar, his section was moved to 10 Platoon under Lt Bleechmore, becoming 2 Section. (Lt.

Sillar's service was 14/05/1968 to 21/02/1969 )

We have two people giving differing times as to when he went to 10 pln.

In  the article he posted on Independant Australia  http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/australian-history/anzac-betrayed/  entitled

Anzac Betrayed there is a picture of a group of diggers, the caption under it says
"Don Tate (front left) with 12 Pl 4RAR about to be airlifted out on Operation Stafford."

Operation 'Stafford' commenced  on 17/4/1969 - 11/5/1969  in AO Barossa. 4RAR ceased operations in AO Barossa  and returned to base

at 1 ATF on 1/5/69   http://www.ausvets.com.au/vietnam/1969/ops1969.htm 

So it now appears that Tate was in 12 pln in Jan, Feb, March, and April. When was he in 10pln???

« Last Edit: Saturday11February2012 by Steel » Logged
Brutus

« Reply #10 on: Saturday11February2012 »

Even if Tate's claims about his action as a tail end charlie were remotely true it is certainly it is not the action for which a medal should be or would be awarded for.. if his tale is true then he was simply doing his job.. acting as a rifleman in an infantry platoon and doing what he was supposed to be doing.....

If this is the basis of his claim for medals and glory which he so obviously craves then he would be way,way back at the end of the line.. no doubt he puts his action way above those of the forward scouts who were always at the sharpest point of the sharp end every day.. and above the  bravery of our Engineer splinter teams searching for more M16 mines in shrapnel filled ground after a mine incident to make the area safe.. and on it goes, there were so many more individual acts of bravery where lives were taken, lives were lost and lives were saved.

Yet these others served with honour and dignity, you don't hear them bleating and complaining about awards for bravery they did not receive, they were doing their jobs then and now, those who are left simply get on with life... they do not denigrate other veterans, they just stand proud and tall, which is much more than can be said for Tate and his ego driven craving for glory.
CD

« Reply #9 on: Saturday11February2012 »

Ah, Zion.   
I notice down there in Tate's list of wonderful things he has done that in 1969 he states:
"1969: two bunker assaults against entrenched Viet Cong (2 with the 4th; 1 with the 9th)1969: major ambushes with D@E Platoon1969: riding in APC’S when one was blown-up by command-detonated mine".

Now this statement intrigued me somewhat to the extent that I took the time to go through me old mate Bob Coker's "List".
I have found that no APC hit a mine or was blown up by a mine involving any troops from any unit Tate was posted to during the time of his posting.
I'm very sure that this information is correct because Bob did a tour with 1 APC Tp and knowing Bob as I do he would have made doubly sure of his facts regarding APC's.

Does this now make Little Donny Boy a double liar and hero wannabe?

« Last Edit: Saturday11February2012 by CD » Logged
Zionist
« Reply #8 on: Saturday11February2012 »

Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:21 PM
Subject:What a hero TATE is?

Just back from WA, this morning to an avalanche of emails regarding our heroes latest tirade of abuse, this time denunciating 9 RAR officials for not recommending him for a belated gallantry medal for his bravery with 7 Platoon, along with other nasty comments.  These warriors do a marvellous job for the battalion and community and certainly dont  deserve Tates abuse.  Really, I mean to say, what a goose Tate is, and far from being a war hero, the only mention of him by name in Vietnam, is that of the 4 RAR/NZ publication: Mission in Vietnam 1968-69, and I quote from Chapter IV, page 56 of that book under the heading D Coy: Pte Don Tate also deserves a mention for displaying his large repertoire of falls. He often demonstrated he could fall from any position at any time.  Not hard you say?  Well, can you fall backwards while leaning forward. End of quote.  Befittingly, our hero was affectionately, but also cautiously given the nickname of  STUMBLES Tate.  I must admit it is very difficult to be fair minded when you are dealing with such a horrible and demeaning personality, bent of destroying the good name of the Australian Army in Vietnam, or for that matter anyone that dares to cross swords with him.  Retrospectively, perhaps, this one jocular but accurate account of Tate by his 4 RAR comrades, is the very catalyst that has spawned and continued to fuel all his hatred and anger with the Australian Army, as it was put, not so eloquently with his 1996 interview with A Current Affair. I wont labour on this further, because I only wanted to verify the film clips origin from his personalised war history, called GRUNT.

The snapshots of 4 RAR in action Donny Boy, are that of 9 Platoon, Charlie Coy, not you again, so why include these photos in Grunt, directly after incorrectly announcing what a hero you were by killing the two Viet Cong, when you apparently got lost as tail end Charlie. Mission says you were in D Coy, so there is no contest with that. Nonetheless, I tend to agree with this author, along with production of the proof that you didnt save 10 Pl from a rear ambush, as repeatedly claimed.

To: admin@austvetmatters.netThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 2:08 PM
Subject: Don Tate

Hi
For info my name is xxxx xxxx

I was Don Tates Sec Commd for the entire time he served with DCoy 4RAR,,
Tate was initially in 7Sec 12pl DCoy,,

Then Sec moved to become 2Sec 10PL for last 2-3 mnths of tour.

Donny Tate survived in my Sec for one reason,and one reason only,,the Company politics of that time.

I have followed Don antics over the years and when have dared to offer corrections to his "Vivid Recollections"",, have been the recipient of many of his abusive emails..

Donny just never gets it fully correct,and never lets the facts get in the way of "His" good story In his latest he speaks of the praise for him from his peers.
Claiming Ian Morrison was Sec Commd in 10Pl and spoke highly of him..

Ian "Zunt" Morrison was never in 10Pl nor was he ever a Cpl in 4RAR

And I can assure you Zunt Morrison has never uttered any such words of praise ref Donny Tate.

Having spoken with Jimmy Riddle at 4RAR birthday Holsworthy,,I can say without fear of contradiction that Jimmy Riddle would never had said those words in ref to Donny
Tate.
In both cases he is simply lying to further embelish his story..

You may reprint/use this info if you wish to..

I am willing to try to answer any queries ref Don's service with 4RAR you may have.
Well done
All the best
xxxx xxxxx

The facts are glaringly obvious arent  they Stumbles. You werent a member of 10 Platoon in late January 1969 were you, and if so why havent you mentioned the large scale successful ambush on Sampans?

YOU WERE NEVER A WAR HERO, AND NO SECTION COMMANDER IN HIS RIGHT MIND WOULD PUT AN M60 MACHINE GUN IN YOUR HANDS, OR MAKE YOU A FORWARD SCOUT.

HOWEVER, you were wounded in action on the 19 July 1969, with 7 Pl 9 RAR, and would normally have been commended for that sacrifice, if wasnt for your bitter twisted hatred, offloaded onto to every decent Vietnam veteran who disagrees with you!

AND

Why would you include Normie Rowes hit song Que Sera Sera in your film, Grunt, when you despise him?  This film was made in 2004, so how many times have you reinvented yourself now?

Reliable sources have informed me that your dispute with Shellharbour Council related entirely on your demand to have the oval called: The Don Tate Oval, so well should it have caused your great embarrassment.

Lack of recognition. Being left out of official records caused me great damage, but worse, it set a pattern in the years to come, and all in all, the cumulative effect was manifestly destructive. These included: whilst a member of the 4th Battalion, I saved my platoon from being ambushed from the rear. This account is described in Lt. Colonel Brian Avery's book, In the Anzac Spirit, published by Slouch Hat Publications, on p.160. As tail-end Charlie, the last man in the platoon, I found myself isolated from the man I was following, and when I spotted a number of Viet Cong following us, I made the decision to initiate the contact on my own and opened fire on them at close range. Avery describes the incident, and acknowledges the action probably saved the platoon from an attack from the rear, but doesn't mention me by name. I have since become aware of other men who took on the enemy single-handed, granted medals. I just got a pat on the back, not that I ever expected a medal. In 1970, I confronted the moratorium marchers in Brisbane (when most other veterans were lying low) and spoke out in support of the USA's involvement in Cambodia (see controversial matters below) and while this incident is recorded in a Time-Life book, I'm not mentioned by name. In 1992, when I confronted a masked intruder breaking into a motel room where I had housed 12 high school girls on a school sporting excursion (bashed with a steel bar as a consequence) the N.S.W. Dept. of Education (in an act of typical bastardry) refused me a bravery award, despite the presence of two other teachers. I was medically retired, instead. And then, in 2000, when me and six other veterans and our wives planted 230 trees in our community as a living memorial to the men who served in Vietnam (but not to those who died- they have their own memorials) the local Council refused to allow us to leave a plaque at the site acknowledging what we had done, and why. (See more about this matter below). In 2000, I was awarded the Australian Sports Medal, but because the local Federal M.P. Colin Hollis was doing a stint at the United Nations at the time, my medal and certificate came by mail, rather than at the usual public ceremony.

Damage done to me by veterans, and veterans organisations in relation to the establishment of a commemorative walk in Shellharbour.  Our battle with the local Shellharbour City Council, and particularly with Brian Weir, its General Manager (who never fought for his country), received national and international attention, resulting in great embarrassment for me. This matter is outlined in Community Project within this site, and the actions of that general manager of Council reflects the insensitivity, and sheer bastardry we veterans of the Vietnam War have had to deal with since we came home.

Traumatic Incidents. How I have lived my life has been affected by an extraordinary range of traumatic incidents that baffles observers. These are some of them:

1966: seven teeth knocked out in a fight with bikies

1968: 30 stitches in a facial wound after a fight with a bouncer

1969: involved in two major contacts on my first day on patrol in Vietnam, involving 4 K.I.A's, and 1 W.I.A.

1969: two bunker assaults against entrenched Viet Cong (2 with the 4th; 1 with the 9th)1969: major ambushes with D@E Platoon1969: riding in APC’S when one was blown-up by command-detonated mine

1969: wounded in action assaulting a Viet Cong bunker complex

1970: assaulted by moratorium marchers in Brisbane

1971: 40 stitches in face and neck after being assaulted with a beer glass

1981: employer demands that I drive a pan-tech truck down a mountain pass carrying 500 gallons of fuel in drums

1986: bashed and robbed in school toilets whilst marking School Certificate

1992: bashed with a steel bar by a masked intruder on a school excursion

1993: bashed by ex-student with a piece of timber after a drugs bust

1998: assaulted by Steve Cameron, a disgruntled cricketer (convicted of assault)

1999: stabbed twice in the back in Brisbane in a random thrill attack

TO ENLARGE THE PICS JUST PLACE YOUR MOUSE OVER THE IMAGES AND CLICK

* Top.jpg (955.34 KB, 1673x2400 - viewed 1038 times.)

* snapshot59.jpg (125.78 KB, 720x576 - viewed 807 times.)

* snapshot1.jpg (74.9 KB, 720x576 - viewed 794 times.)

* snapshot65.jpg (100.41 KB, 720x576 - viewed 715 times.)

* snapshot68.jpg (93.82 KB, 720x576 - viewed 830 times.)

* snapshot72.jpg (90.41 KB, 720x576 - viewed 782 times.)
« Last Edit: Saturday11February2012 by Zion » Logged
Ethelred
« Reply #7 on: Friday27January2012 »

Some time ago Little Donny Boy told us all that he was the only bloke to take Super 8 film in Vn. Well have a look at this and tell me he hasn't lied again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFuxokBQC8o&feature=related

MORE HERE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCQRelhgOWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUNKSJkOpLA
krt1.

« Reply #6 on: Thursday26January2012 »

Donnie Boy. I don't seem to remember your name being mentioned when the subject came up about this particular patrol.  Are you shore you were on it???  I can't find your name amongst my notes stating you were there at all. This type of thing has happened once or twice before where some ones name has been forgotten because they played such an insignificant role or because they were not amongst the group at the debrief. I will check further. May be one of the other dairies has the answer.
Zionist
« Reply #5 on: Thursday26January2012 »

Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:54 PM
Subject: What a hero TATE is

This caption from a film frame in  GRUNT:  Australian Infantryman Don Tates personal record of his tour of duty in the Vietnam War.

What a hero TATE is?  No  Donny Boy, the rear Machine Gunner was responsible for the two Viet Cong KIA, on the 30 January 1969.  Assuming of course that our hero was in this mighty 10 Platoon.

RIP: Joseph Ramsay & Samuel Graham, both born in Scotland, killed in action on the 31 January 1969.  You have the engagements around the wrong way Tate, or is it the drafters fault again, for no including you.

Anyhow see Serial 2810 of Sheet: 205,  HQ 1 ATF Log Sheets, 30 January 1969 & 4RAR/NZ Commanders  Diary Narrative,  for 30 January 1969.

IN LATE JANUARY, 1969, I WAS POSTED TO 4TH ROYAL AUSTRALIAN REGIMENT 10 PLATOON,
DELTA COMPANY.  ON MY FIRST DAY, WE LOST TWO MEN KILLED (JOE RAMSAY AND SAM GRAHAM), AND ONE
WOUNDED, AND LATER, AS TAIL END CHARLIE, I WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR KILLING TWO VIET CONG.
MY WAR HAD BEGUN

OPEN THE ATTACHMENTS OR CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE

* TATE1.jpg (362.77 KB, 1263x844 - viewed 1131 times.)

* TATE2.jpg (252.96 KB, 1355x843 - viewed 968 times.)

* TATE3.jpg (231.55 KB, 1384x887 - viewed 965 times.)

* TATE4.jpg (65.91 KB, 737x741 - viewed 920 times.)
CD

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday24January2012 »

Some time ago Little Donny Boy told us all that he was the only bloke to take Super 8 film in Vn. Well have a look at this and tell me he hasn't lied again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFuxokBQC8o&feature=related

« Last Edit: Thursday26January2012 by Spartakus » Logged
Ruger357
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday17January2012 »

Tate, the wank, claim to have as he states " a teaching degree".......well, as Tate was such a dumb arse and did not leave school with matriculation levels, he would have firstly have needed to complete Senior levels (at Night college etc) and then do a four year degree, or other qualifciations in order to be able to teach.

Tate is one who likes to have high profile and letters after his name, along with his 'earned' Sports medal...then one would suppose rationally, that if Tate does have a degree in teaching, he would put post nominals after his name, such as B Ed, or B Teaching etc, or B A...whatever

I doubt Tate does have a degree, especially a teaching degree, but if he does, its up to him to prove to all of us, that he does and is NOT a wannabee degree holder

Remember some of the ex Military mentioned in ANZMI site, who claim to have degrees, but dont ...purchased online !!!

Ruger357
« Reply #2 on: Saturday14January2012 »

After reading the attachment to this strand, what really can one say......oh, and he claims to have gotten a Teaching Degree?   one has to see that.....

oh poor Donny Tate, still trying to keep the fires alight with his expose about his book and his mistreatment at the hands of a corrupt and inept military......

Tate will go down in history as the only Vietnam Veteran who has more chips on his shoulder than all of those who suffered
krt1.

« Reply #1 on: Saturday14January2012 »

Donnie Boy Tate will go down in history as the Disillusioned Legend, who lied his way to notoriety.
Donnie Boy, you alone have sullied your own nest. Don't blame others for your own lies and misdeeds.
I can only pray that one day you will find peace and be at rest with your sick twisted mind.

It is a shame and I have said it before and I'll say it again, "There but for his lies and his sick twisted mind, goes a walking wounded man of the Vietnam War."
Your Lies have over shadowed your injuries sustained in that war.
Zion
Administrator

« on: Saturday14January2012 »

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 10:20 AM
Subject: TATE THE LIAR AND FAKE

What a hero TATE is? The reality of course if much different. For instance (with no disrespect to 7 Pl) especially with 9 RARs operations in Hat Dich, the fact is, the liar wannabe  Tate  saw no action with this platoon whatsoever, until the 19 July 1969? Take saw no action with his quoted: Emu bobbers platoon. So we are left with Tates clouded memory of his heroism in 4 RAR? You are now left with nothing noteworthy to honour him with a reward for recognition, except with the widespread reputation of being a stumbling bumbling soldier.  Tate even adds on a month of service in Vietnam for good measure..  What a disgrace this person is to the history of  the Australian Army.

To read further open the attachment below this email

* What_a_hero_TATE_is.doc (267 KB - downloaded 815 times.)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: