AUSTRALIAN VETERAN MATTERS
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Thursday09April2020

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Don Tate Fraud Liar Wannabe Closet Paedophile and Closet Gay
2,371 Posts in 149 Topics by 217 Members
Latest Member: Sweesiultew
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  AUSTRALIAN VETERAN MATTERS
|-+  AUSTRALIAN VETERAN MATTERS FORUM
| |-+  THE MAD GALAHS FORUM--This forum does not necessarily reflect AVMs opinion. CLICK HERE FOR AVMS OPINION
| | |-+  Should there be a public holiday in lieu of ANZAC Day?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should there be a public holiday in lieu of ANZAC Day?  (Read 12647 times)
grunter

« Reply #10 on: Thursday23April2009 »

G'DAY Pete

many years ago after lobbying by the new RSL. (Although NOT that exact name)
And a Committee headed by our Greatest General Monash, the Day in Victoria in 1925 was gazetted as a Public Holiday as many Vets still worked.

The next year; 1926 saw over 30,000 vets march with half a million on the side lines.

Future years will see the same problems here as today's serving soldiers, will be younger Vets and they perhaps will be working?

Anyway if the March was a "Publish Holiday" in 1925 what happended to it?
For some information on this issue have a look at my Post:- ANZAC Day Tradition or farce"?

G.

krt1.

« Reply #9 on: Thursday23April2009 »

The term "Peace Keeping" or "Peace Keeper" is the New Political Correctness which is creeping into our society's way of being polite when shooting the shit out of an opposing member of the "Other Organisations"  "Peace Keepers or Peace Keeper"
Personally I prefer to see all Combat Military Actions by our Service Personnel being referred to as "WAR" or at least "WAR LIKE ACTIONS" but if it is war like actions, does this mean those who are KIA died of "WAR LIKE DEATHS" Huh
Cav
« Reply #8 on: Thursday23April2009 »

Fair comment 80s
80s
« Reply #7 on: Thursday23April2009 »

Isnt it also funny to note however that everyone AFTER the Vietnam veterans is labelled under "Peace Keepers". When you get called that by a VV its generally made as a slur or a bit of a put down as they don't recognise any of the operations post SVN as war or even war-like. I have stated on other forums and I stick by this that if a younger vet is going to get any insult or denigration about his/her service it will come from a VV 90% of the time. Not saying all VV's or even a majority do it, but any attacks on younger vets invariably come from this quarter.

80's
Ethelred
« Reply #6 on: Thursday23April2009 »

Let the real heroes lead way 

COMMENT: Cameron Stewart, April 23, 2009

Article from:  The Australian

ANZAC Day parades across the country must be radically shaken up to better recognise and celebrate the fast-dwindling numbers of World War II veterans.

Anzac Day marches in capital cities have become a confusing rabble, robbed of their impact by political correctness and by the lack of a coherent narrative.

Try taking your kids, the future keepers of the Anzac flame, to a march and explain to them what they are looking at.

What they will see is a confusing hotchpotch of real Diggers and relatives of Diggers marching side by side in random units, with little or no explanation of where they served and what they did. It is guaranteed to make them lose interest.

With the numbers of WWII soldiers fast dwindling, the time has come for the march organisers, usually the RSL and government agencies, to take action.

They should group all remaining WWII veterans together as one - not separated by their units - and place them at the head of the march.

Then they should group all the Korean War veterans together immediately behind the WWII blokes.

Then the Vietnam veterans. Then the peacekeepers, and so on. And then at the back of the march those relatives who want to march could do so.

The WWII generation will not be with us for much longer. Put them - and them alone - at the head of the march and let's celebrate them. Loudly.

Story found at:-
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25372794-5013479,00.html

cicero

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday22April2009 »

ANZAC DAY is the only day in the Australian Holiday Calender that has meaning to the majority of Australians.

Just to see the public turn up to watch us march is testament to that.

I prefer the position...if it (25 April) falls on a Sat or Sun, then the Monday should be a holiday. 

It gives some of us old farts two extra days to recover  Grin
tassydog

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday22April2009 »

I aggree with 80.
Wewant  great attendance at our services but if it is a working day numbers will fall as we have seen in past

Tassydog  Cry
80s
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday22April2009 »

Yes I guess it goes both ways, we want the public to acknowledge the sacrifice of veterans but we may have to give them a public holiday to get it. Small price to pay, call it a Anzac Day long weekend, but still obviously commemorate on the 25th irregardless.

80's
Cav
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday22April2009 »

I agree, but unfortunately it's out of our hands because to the general public it is just that - a public holiday.
Boots

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday22April2009 »

I agree.

The 25th is sacred.

It will lose it's meaning if it becomes a public "holiday".
It ain't no holiday for us Vets.

Pete
Peter Gregory
« on: Wednesday22April2009 »

I read that there is going to be a gazetted public holiday on Monday 26th April next year because ANZAC Day falls on a Sunday.  I for one will be raising this matter with the TPI Assoc and am dead-set against it.  My grandfather survived Gallipoli only to be killed in France.  My dad was a WWII veteran who evertually died from wounds/illness and I'm a TPI Vietnam Vet so I think I've got a right to bitch about it.  ANZAC Day is a day of commemoration and not a celebration as it appears to becoming. I haven't heard a word from the RSL as yet.  Any thoughts?

Pete

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: