AUSTRALIAN VETERAN MATTERS
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Thursday20February2020

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Tate hates Vietnam Vets like the War Protestors Did
2,371 Posts in 149 Topics by 217 Members
Latest Member: Sweesiultew
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  AUSTRALIAN VETERAN MATTERS
|-+  AUSTRALIAN VETERAN MATTERS FORUM
| |-+  THE MAD GALAHS FORUM--This forum does not necessarily reflect AVMs opinion. CLICK HERE FOR AVMS OPINION
| | |-+  Another "Who's this guy"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another "Who's this guy"  (Read 5628 times)
grunter

« Reply #1 on: Monday11May2009 »

G'DAY Members looks like others have this 'gent' in their sights?
G.

G’day all,

Can anyone identify the gentleman in the Team beret in the photograph.  I am away on holidays at present and although the face seemed familiar, a name I could not come up with as yet.

I know a few of the old and bolds march out of step these days but since the question has been raised it would be nice to confirm or deny the gentleman wearing the medals.

Responses to roger@telecon.com.au please with a drop information copy to me would be appreciated.

I have already corrected Roger Greene as to the award of the US MUC to those Team members that served 1971 to late 1972.

Take care and Persevere,

Rick

Sent: Sunday, 10 May 2009 8:59 AM
To: advisor@echidna.id.au
Subject: AATTV Veteran

Hi Rick,

The chap in the Team beret attracted some attention in the march at Gundagai this year (apart from being out of step).

The town had a veterans’ reunion but he seemed a misfit and one of the Peacekeepers and Peacemakers (national Secretary Graham Castles) marching directly in front of him had his sister take this photo to see if he could be proven to be legitimate or otherwise.

Perhaps someone in the team might recognize him and put everyone’s mind at ease.

I am told that the GSM was not actually on his rack of medals but was pinned in front which is a little strange as the Defence Medal seems to have been mounted so why wouldn’t they all be racked correctly at the time ?

Wearing the GSM 62 and the three Unit citations would have required a fairly unique service record.

The GSM was only awarded from Dec 62 to May 64 in Vietnam ( http://www.aattv.iinet.net.au/gsm.htm ).

The US Presidential Unit Citation  was awarded to 3 RAR in Korea and D Company 6 RAR in SVN (Aug 66).  56 members of AATTV between 1 Nov 66 and 31 Jan 68 who were attached to 5th (US) Special Forces Group have also been approved to wear it ( http://www.aattv.iinet.net.au/uspuc.htm )  – can’t think of any other units who have it.

The US Meritorious Unit Commendation was awarded to 1 RAR (65/66) and to AATTV for service between Jul 62 and Aug 69.

The RVN Cross of Gallantry with Palm Unit Citation was awarded to AATTV for service between 1962 and 1971 and also to 8 RAR.

He’s too young to be a Korea vet.  The GSM could be Malaya/Borneo (or Team).  To have the US Presidential Unit Citation he must have been either in D Coy 6 RAR or the team in the period Aug 66 to Jan 68.  If the GSM was not for Malaya/Borneo then he must have done two tours in Vietnam - with the team  62-64 and then either D Coy 6 RAR or the team 66-68.

I have compared your two GSM and US Presidential Citation lists and only three people appear on both – two are now deceased and the third is WO2 RL Weir BEM.  Since the bloke we are interested in isn’t wearing a BEM it certainly looks like the two tours with the team theory can be ruled out.

Hoping you can help

Kind regards

Peter Gregory
« on: Wednesday06May2009 »

This has been sent to me with the question.  Does anyone know this bloke?  Photo taken ANZAC Day.

Chief

* Anzac_Day_2009.gif (510.78 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 1000 times.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: